You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

The current always carries my sinker away
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 10:19 PM by onwind.)
The current always carries my sinker away
I have been trying bottom fishing in grand river maitland port for several weeks. but I always met this problem: the current there is so strong that it always brings my sinker away. if I release the line, it will be let out constantly, if I hold the line, it will finally be blown to very near the shore, but my plan is to anchor my bait at the bottom in the middle channel of the river. I have tried several solutions:
1. changed my egg sinker to no roll sinker, just move slower.
2. use heavier sinker up to 4 oz, it's still moving.
do you have any suggestion for this problem? should I up-size my sinker to 8oz? I am worrying how I can throw it far enough.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 10:59 PM by Eli.)
RE: The current always carries my sinker away
There are various "gripper" style sinkers available. Basically, they are either completely flat or have all kinds of protuberances designed to hold bottom. There are also pyramid sinkers which hold very well on a mud/clay/sand bottom but not as well over rocks. Pyramids also tend to twist your line a bit during the retrieve. I prefer the flat leads because they're cheap, hold bottom really well, and create virtually no resistance when retrieved.

This is the flat sinker I'm reffering to (ignore the junk swivel).
[Image: 2006-08-25_02.jpg]

Another thing to consider is your line diameter. The thicker the line, the more it will be pushed by the current. Switch to braid if you haven't already as it has a much thinner diameter per lb test.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Eli for this post:
mcfly (06-11-2013), onwind (06-12-2013)
06-11-2013, 11:06 PM
A few things to try...

1) Try using a thinner diameter line. The thicker the line, the more drag you will have in the water, thus, there is more force exerted on your entire rig to move it in the current.

2) Try other types of sinkers such as pyramid sinkers and bank sinkers that tends to roll less. You can even try spunik sinkers.

3) Casting a heavy sinker a distance isn't an issue. You do have to watch out and not give the sinker too much momentum and force on the cast. Generally speaking you need 10lb of breaking strength in your line per 1oz of sinker you use. That is, if you wish to cast a 3oz sinker, you better have 30lb line to prevent the sinker from snapping off. This is a very serious issue. A sinker being accelerated during the cast can turn into a very dangerous flying object if it snaps off the line. I've snapped 40lb mono while casting 5oz sinkers before...and it is very, very scary.

4) Any reason you wish to anchor your bait in one spot? A slow, bottom bouncing technique allows you to cover more water methodically and it is a great searching technique. If the water is muddy like it is now, this kind of search pattern increase your chance that your bait will come across a fish. With reduced visibility and high flow like we're experiencing now, most fish will be hugging tight to the bottom and not willing to fight the current and move too far for food. A slow bottom bounce will allow you to present food to fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
mcfly (06-11-2013), onwind (06-12-2013)
06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
I have this same issue! I'm gonna try what these guys have suggested. The rain always brings a crazy current in my local creek and it basically makes it unfishable at times just like today. Hate not being on the bottom with the sinker!
06-12-2013, 12:21 AM
If the water is really deep your sinker might take a little bit extra line past the cast out to sink to the bottom of were you want to be.

Sometimes the current does require more weight to sink. If you get the weight right you can bump it to move it periodically.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mrclownprince for this post:
onwind (06-12-2013)
06-12-2013, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 08:52 AM by onwind.)
I am using 20lb braid line, so I think the diameter of my line should be thin enough. however I am wondering whether fluorocarbon line would be better as it will sink in the water, so it will not be pulled by the current.
because I am targeting at channel catfish, they're known of have good sense of smell. so I think I'd better place my bait in a fixed spot where the channel cat can find it by themselves.
The no roll sinker I used is flat like this: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-No...10206747/, I will try to use Pyramid sinker next time.
Cannot see the image.
(06-11-2013 10:58 PM)Eli Wrote:  There are various "gripper" style sinkers available. Basically, they are either completely flat or have all kinds of protuberances designed to hold bottom. There are also pyramid sinkers which hold very well on a mud/clay/sand bottom but not as well over rocks. Pyramids also tend to twist your line a bit during the retrieve. I prefer the flat leads because they're cheap, hold bottom really well, and create virtually no resistance when retrieved.

This is the flat sinker I'm reffering to (ignore the junk swivel).
[Image: 2006-08-25_02.jpg]

Another thing to consider is your line diameter. The thicker the line, the more it will be pushed by the current. Switch to braid if you haven't already as it has a much thinner diameter per lb test.
06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Then again........ perhaps ponder how many fish will really be in such a forceful current in that particular location (Port Maitland).

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-12-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 04:12 PM by onwind.)
there are plenty of sheepsheads, I can easily pull more than 20 fishes from there in one morning using center pin. there are also channel cats and carps. I just want to practice bottom fishing there.
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
The current there has been high for an unusually long period. Soon it will relax and such weight will not be required.

Have you tried the still clear water on the lake side of the pier (towards Port Dover)?

Or on the opposite side of the river just up stream from the pier park side where there is a beach and launching ramp?

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
the water on the other side is too clear, I am wondering whether there would be any fishes.
I haven't tried the beach because there are always a lot of people. perhaps next time I can try it.
(06-12-2013 04:17 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  The current there has been high for an unusually long period. Soon it will relax and such weight will not be required.

Have you tried the still clear water on the lake side of the pier (towards Port Dover)?

Or on the opposite side of the river just up stream from the pier park side where there is a beach and launching ramp?

OT