You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ticks at Binbrook Hamilton
05-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Ticks at Binbrook Hamilton
Anyone who regularly fishes out at Binbrook and Lake Niapenco please take note of an increase in ticks in the area. I don't remember seeing so many last year. It may have something to do with the increased precipitation this winter and spring.

Tons of ticks on the back trails and grassy areas. I brought home a few on my clothes. If they bite you can submit them to your board of health. They check them for lyme disease.

Wear long pants and tuck them into your socks when possible. Also good repellent with deet is recommended.

Cheers,

Tony
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2015, 07:30 AM
RE: Ticks at Binbrook Hamilton
Deet is carcinogenic. Use citronella instead.
The tick population is exploding right across the continent. Another fun way to celebrate climate change.
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2015, 08:05 AM
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/changing-cl...-1.2387044

Wearing mid-calf rubber or neoprene boots helps too.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-28-2015, 01:50 AM
(05-25-2015 07:30 AM)Eli Wrote:  Deet is carcinogenic. Use citronella instead.
The tick population is exploding right across the continent. Another fun way to celebrate climate change.

Deet is approved by Health Canada and widely accepted as a good repellent against mosquitos and ticks.

Carcinogenicity:
Animals

Researchers fed DEET to male and female rats in the diet for two years at doses of 10, 30, or 100 mg/kg/day, and 30, 100, or 400 mg/kg/day, respectively. Researchers fed mice 250, 500, or 1,000 mg/kg/day for 18 months, and dogs 30, 100, or 400 mg/kg/day. No specific target organ toxicity or oncogenicity was observed in any of the animals.14

Researchers often use studies designed to test for mutagenicity to screen chemicals for carcinogenicity. Sufficient evidence indicates that DEET does not have significant potential for mutagenicity.15
Humans

The U.S. EPA classified DEET as "Group D - not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity" based on inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity, or lack of data in laboratory animals and humans.1 See the text box on Cancer.
05-28-2015, 07:05 AM
(05-28-2015 01:50 AM)Latenightcam Wrote:  

Deet is approved by Health Canada and widely accepted as a good repellent against mosquitos and ticks.

Carcinogenicity:
Animals

Researchers fed DEET to male and female rats in the diet for two years at doses of 10, 30, or 100 mg/kg/day, and 30, 100, or 400 mg/kg/day, respectively. Researchers fed mice 250, 500, or 1,000 mg/kg/day for 18 months, and dogs 30, 100, or 400 mg/kg/day. No specific target organ toxicity or oncogenicity was observed in any of the animals.14

Researchers often use studies designed to test for mutagenicity to screen chemicals for carcinogenicity. Sufficient evidence indicates that DEET does not have significant potential for mutagenicity.15
Humans

The U.S. EPA classified DEET as "Group D - not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity" based on inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity, or lack of data in laboratory animals and humans.1 See the text box on Cancer.

Interesting looking at the studies done.

1) The studies were done by feeding DEET to mice or dogs. Unless you plan to drink DEET, it is not that relevant to human use for DEET. Babies, kids and perhaps adults could potentially ingest DEET by accident, so there is some interest to know DEET's mutagenicity when ingested. But there should be studies included to study skin application of DEET.

2) At the dosage used in the study, even the minimum amount of DEET used was substantially higher than what human would use or ingest. DEET has a solubility of >1g/L (or >1mg/ml). Assuming if DEET is only soluble at 1mg/ml, a 10mg/kg/day dose in mice extended to a 50kg human adult is equivalent to ingesting 500ml of DEET per day. That is a LOT of DEET.

In any case, just like any other chemical substances...use in moderation even if it is "harmless"...even the chemical H2O can and will kill you if used in excess.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-28-2015, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2015 01:41 PM by Eli.)
(05-28-2015 01:50 AM)Latenightcam Wrote:  

Carcinogenicity:
Animals

Humans

Ok Latenightcam enjoy lathing yourself with deet. Spray some in your morning cereal if it's so harmless. Sprinkle in some harmless parabens too and watch your prostate grow.

BTW, citronella bug spray was recently banned in Canada because the manufacturer (Druid brand) took the high road and refused to test on animals. I got enough from the States to last years.
I guess Rona Blowjob Ambrose was more than willing to bend to the will of Raid, Off! and Muscol.

Btw, animal studies tell very little regarding toxicity to humans.
Squirrels and slugs can eat destroying angle mushrooms but I don't suggest you add them to your stir-fry.
Grapes are just fine for you and me but feed too many to your dog and its liver will fail.
05-28-2015, 02:58 PM
(05-28-2015 07:05 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  In any case, just like any other chemical substances...use in moderation even if it is "harmless"...even the chemical H2O can and will kill you if used in excess.

That's why we all-knowing canucks add small amounts malted barley, hopps, and yeast to our H2O..............this solution properly aged, strained, and chilled, seems to increase our tolerance to H2O ......... as far as we can remember most mornings...

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Two of my uncles are doctors. Their families all use bug stuff with deet in it at the cottages up north.
05-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Like I said, bathe in it for all I care. Don't spray it around me or mine and we wont have a problem.