You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Toronto Port Authority Fishing Derby
09-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Toronto Port Authority Fishing Derby
Hey,

Has anyone heard if the TPA will be holding the derby they promised to host. (when all the broo-ha-ha was going down earlier this year over harbourfront fishing access)?

I cant seem to find anything on line re such.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2014, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 05:42 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Toronto Port Authority Fishing Derby
There is future access to "Ontario Place" waters. They are building a trail and park along the eastern side.

Not sure what the update of the derby is at the moment, but it is still in the works...

Personally, I didn't like the idea of a fishing "pier"...it's just going to create something that developers can use as an excuse to shut down access when they say "Oh, but you have that whole pier where you can fish"...plus money can be better used to enhance existing access and create new access instead of building an elaborate pier. There are addition access being considered at the moment.

There are a lot of things in the work that we do not and cannot talk about until they are finalized. Just because you don't hear about them, it doesn't mean there isn't any progress.

There are also other initiatives that TUFA is undertaking. Dave had done a lot of work to ensure the Tackle Share program at the Toronto Islands is being set up for this summer, and he has been securing, assembling and installing all the fishing line receptacles across Toronto areas.

If you really wish to help with certain issues, and wish to get up to date information, I would suggest to join TUFA as a member and attend some of the meetings with Dave. Then you will be fully informed.

Sorry...but a post like this does tick me off...because it is in no way warranted...and Dave's hardwork leading TUFA and all of TUFA's initiative does not deserve such snide undertone from such posts.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-25-2014, 10:16 AM

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
06-25-2014, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2014 10:54 AM by tangledline.)
To answer your question...I had to wait until this years fishing summit...TPA and TPFR no shows....but there were reasons. TPA just gave permission for CSFL to hold an Pro Fishing Bass Derby in the Toronto Harbour July 01. The Fishing Summit was held at the Sportsman Show offices. The CSFL is owned by the owner of the Spring Fishing Show. TPA did not attend the meeting because of the potential of a political storm.
The TPA is allowing the pros to prove a fishing derby can be run safely and organized in the harbour before they allow an amateur derby. The fishing pier plans and approval are complete. We are writing a letter to get the funding of $750,000. to build it. The pier will be in the outer harbour as part of the Portland's redevelopment and as a Thank you to Councillor Fletcher and because there are fish there. The potential of expansion of the island airport discouraged the building of the pier at Ontario Place. I went to several of the Ontario Place Park meetings requesting fishing node access points be incorporated into their plans. The TRCA is putting five fishing node access points at Toronto Islands next year, Tommy Thompson is getting a fishing pier and several fishing nodes, the outer harbour is getting two fishing nodes. The funding for all that is secured and the plans and approvals completed. Work starts in July and will be finished by next summer. The Family Fishing Days were expanded by one event last year at Topham Pond, Eglington Flats and its now ( as of last Wed.) been approved as a regular yearly event.
Toronto Islands will see 10-15 thousand brown trout stocked there next year. Walleye will be stocked in the harbour this year again. The MNR is not stocking bass or pike anywhere right now...no hatchery facility being used for that purpose at this time. The Recreational Fisheries Plan is complete but TRCA and MNR were asked not to make it public or to present it to City Council until after the Fall Elections. We are all upset by this as its been ready since spring. All that being said...if TPA is sponsoring and approving the fishing derby they want TUFA and CSFL to run it. TUFA will not undertake such a venture until it has a large enough volunteer base to do so. If you want to improve fishing in the City of Toronto come out and volunteer for Family Fishing Days. The success of those and the demand created by more people wanting to fish after attending a successful Family Fishing Event will grow our sport. When the TRCA, OFAH. MNR, TPFR see the Family Fishing Events well attended by volunteers then they understand we are ready for the next step in our growth. Please come out and volunteer.
http://www.wtfontario.ca/?page_id=51
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2014, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2017 01:57 PM by OldTimer.)
Thanks Dave - much appreciated. Attaboy.

I am surprised that Councillor Fletcher didn't mention this in her regular newsletters.

Thanks MikeH - You're quite correct he does yell a lot..

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
07-31-2017, 04:42 PM
(06-25-2014 10:49 AM)tangledline Wrote:  To answer your question...I had to wait until this years fishing summit...TPA and TPFR no shows....but there were reasons. TPA just gave permission for CSFL to hold an Pro Fishing Bass Derby in the Toronto Harbour July 01. The Fishing Summit was held at the Sportsman Show offices. The CSFL is owned by the owner of the Spring Fishing Show. TPA did not attend the meeting because of the potential of a political storm.
The TPA is allowing the pros to prove a fishing derby can be run safely and organized in the harbour before they allow an amateur derby. The fishing pier plans and approval are complete. We are writing a letter to get the funding of $750,000. to build it. The pier will be in the outer harbour as part of the Portland's redevelopment and as a Thank you to Councillor Fletcher and because there are fish there. The potential of expansion of the island airport discouraged the building of the pier at Ontario Place. I went to several of the Ontario Place Park meetings requesting fishing node access points be incorporated into their plans. The TRCA is putting five fishing node access points at Toronto Islands next year, Tommy Thompson is getting a fishing pier and several fishing nodes, the outer harbour is getting two fishing nodes. The funding for all that is secured and the plans and approvals completed. Work starts in July and will be finished by next summer. The Family Fishing Days were expanded by one event last year at Topham Pond, Eglington Flats and its now ( as of last Wed.) been approved as a regular yearly event.
Toronto Islands will see 10-15 thousand brown trout stocked there next year. Walleye will be stocked in the harbour this year again. The MNR is not stocking bass or pike anywhere right now...no hatchery facility being used for that purpose at this time. The Recreational Fisheries Plan is complete but TRCA and MNR were asked not to make it public or to present it to City Council until after the Fall Elections. We are all upset by this as its been ready since spring. All that being said...if TPA is sponsoring and approving the fishing derby they want TUFA and CSFL to run it. TUFA will not undertake such a venture until it has a large enough volunteer base to do so. If you want to improve fishing in the City of Toronto come out and volunteer for Family Fishing Days. The success of those and the demand created by more people wanting to fish after attending a successful Family Fishing Event will grow our sport. When the TRCA, OFAH. MNR, TPFR see the Family Fishing Events well attended by volunteers then they understand we are ready for the next step in our growth. Please come out and volunteer.
http://www.wtfontario.ca/?page_id=51

How's all this going?

Where are the piers?

See you on the river.
08-03-2017, 03:00 PM
What new piers?
08-24-2017, 10:05 PM
That was probably all political fluff back then just to cool the heated situation this brought up back then. Now that it's all under the rug not a dime will be spent on any new piers or anything... Mind you if they did build a pier, they would probably do it with very little research to save money, and put it in an area without much fish holding potential... Unless you like GOBIES! which probably make up about 90% of the Toronto fish population anyways now...