You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Two Lines or One.
03-05-2014, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 06:49 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Two Lines or One.
(03-05-2014 06:14 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Commercial surf fisherman in the USA fish 10 to 16 rods regularly..... with no sweat at all.

And ... my complaint is about the regulation fairness to ALL styles , all places, all anglers - not your or my or their abilities....... or how used ........ and when and where - just that it should be ALL the same.

BTW - I would go as far as to say that the great majority of anglers (of ALL ages and styles) fish bait, and not lures.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Alright OT...if that's the case...

One line for bait and lure anglers...all season.

One hook for bait and lure anglers...all season...where a lure is considered as one hook as it is currently. No pickerel rig, or high-low perch rig, or two hook catfish rig...etc. One hooked bait...one lure...fairness...

That is the most fair for EVERYONE...no multiple rod and multiple hook advantage to bait anglers...

You actually shoot yourself in the foot, as bait anglers, to argue fairness in such case...

I can really careless, to be honest, about one rod or two for icefishing...because I fish on some lakes where there is a single rod regulation...and if you are working a lure actively on the ice, you can only really man one rod at a time unless you are deadsticking a tube...

(OK, I lied, you can jig two rods at the same time...I've done it before)

But to argue that bait anglers deserve multiple rods given their disadvantage of a stationary approach, while disregarding the fact that icefishing has an even more difficult stationary approach due to the unique hard and impenetrable nature of the ice, is ignorance at best...it's just a bias toward bait fishing on open water really...

The more you argue fairness, the less you'll benefit the bait angler...which is what this post's hidden agenda is all about, no? Tongue (I assume that given all the examples of stationary bait presentation you have presented...stating the disadvantage and restrictive nature of using only one line at a time at a very specific spot).

It's like racism...unfairness...even if to a minority (since you state, without figures but I'll forgive you on that Tongue, that the majority of anglers use bait)...is still a discrimination...so do not argue majority or minority...because if that's the case...well, let's not bring racism and all the inequalities of the world to a fishing post...but you know where I can go with this...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 08:03 PM by MuskieBait.)
Thanks to OT, he just bashed everyone's dream for the argument to fish multiple rods for bait anglers who fish from shore. Tongue

Politically correct and complete fairness is a biatch...because opening a discussion about it often shoot people in the foot...and the rights you try to fight for actually is taken away more often than not.

It is sometimes, if not often, optimal to let a bit of unfairness slide...

People often say they are fight for fairness...but in actuality, they are fight for special privileges...

For example...from our national anthem...

"God keep our land..."

This certainly isn't the deity that my coworker worship...and to pronounce that, while singing the national anthem, for my coworker is a blasphemy...so in all fairness and equality...let's change that line...

Along that same concept...if Christmas decorations are so offensive, then certainly I don't want to see any other celebrations of any religious holidays either...and I certainly do not want to see people practising their faith in my face...clothing included...Just saying...

Again, not to bring all this racism, religious belief, inequality crap into this fishing related post...but with just a simple example, you can see why sometimes it is better not to open a can of worms on "fairness"...without throwing even more chaos into a relatively peacefully living...and without having to lose all the rights you are trying to fight for...

Bringing it back to fishing, instead of citing "unfairness to all", why not point out the disadvantages to a subgroup and fight for special rights? You will gain much more in the end in my mind. It is easier to seek understanding and be granted special rights, than to have all sorts of divergent interest groups come to a mutual consensus that in actuality is unfair to everyone...and no one is happy in the end anyways...which is a very twisted way of saying that it is "fair"...a shared displease...

**Disclaimer: I'm NOT a Nazi Tongue I have friends of all faith and all ethnicity. I love them all and I love everyone to celebrate their unique differences. I'm just using the above as examples since these very real issues had been brought up in public discussions (news, even government) before...and in those cases, people want to fight for special privileges but argue it was all in the name of fairness...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

03-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Wife never fishes but always has a fishing license and often comes with me. I fish two rods quite oftenSmile
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
(03-05-2014 10:24 PM)Eli Wrote:  Wife never fishes but always has a fishing license and often comes with me. I fish two rods quite oftenSmile

Some people wonder why I've been forcing everyone to get licenses and 'hang out' with me down by the river hahahaha. But honestly, when I get someone who has never caught a single fish before, hooked on a 20lb carp - wow there is no better feeling than that!

I see tons of people using multiple rods and poles in local spots, but since they don't speak english, i don't bother them. They never seem to be catching anything anyways Tongue
03-06-2014, 04:21 PM
(03-05-2014 06:58 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  **Disclaimer: I'm NOT a Nazi

Why of course you're not Mein Fuhrer.

big grin............

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-08-2014, 11:05 AM
The biggest reason is due to line management. Ice fishing and trolling is much easier to control multiple lines during the event of a hook up. Picture this, you are salmon fishing amongst the normal crowd of people and everyone has 2 lines that need to come out of the water within the same amount of time. We all know how frustrating it is when you get hooked and your lines cross and tangle and with extra lines in the water there will be more fish swimming around with lengths of line and tackle tangling up on everything. If we had an extra set of hands then I don't see any problem with 2 lines. But that is just my views.
04-08-2014, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 11:17 AM by MuskieBait.)
Actually, trolling isn't easier to control multiple lines, at least not in my experience. When you have 3 guys in the boat with 6 lines trolled at different levels with different presentation, there are multiple times where a fish will run into another line if you don't bring the lines in. Even with 2 extra guys, it is a lot of work bringing in the other 5 lines. If a fish hits a downrigger line with braided mainline, then swim across the boat into the leadcore line or the flat line out the back, you will have a messy time at best, a cut line is quite possible when the braided line crosses the leadcore.

When you have 2 guys fishing 4 lines in an icefishing hut, it is again the same situation...either everyone reels up the extra line or you risk the fish running into the other lines. If you are one person inside your own hut fishing 2 lines in deeper water, that is even worse. You have so little time to reel up the extra line that more often than not the hooked fish will eventually run into the other line and tangle you up.

Malama o ke kai

04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
But the ministry can't assume that you will always have someone else to bring in a line while the other person is fighting the fish. With ice fishing if you are crazy enough to use 4 line with 2 people in 1 hut then you better expect tangles. That's why tip ups and tip downs are used so much so you can still use 2 line that are easily managed.
04-13-2014, 11:45 PM
May have something to do with Charter boats, increases their odds of success while taking their patrons out thus bringing in further revenue for tourism/business
04-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Would not two lines being allowed on inland lakes and rivers possibly support even greater revenue for tourism and business in those areas.. while at the same time not be discriminatory and conveniently/politically selective to small group of part time businesses (charter boats)?

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.