You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wine Cork Bobber/Float Research & Development 1
09-20-2012, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 08:08 AM by OldTimer.)
Wine Cork Bobber/Float Research & Development 1
With all the talk about floats and bobbers I thought I'd try home making a few.

Here's my initial test run report - needs more tweeking - but I seem to be getting close...........

.pdf  Wine Cork Bobber stage 1.pdf (Size: 208.34 KB / Downloads: 43)

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (09-20-2012)
09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: Wine Cork Bobber/Float Research & Development 1
LOL love the last comment...now, is that cork deformation or is that c***...never mind...I'll just get my head out of the gutter...Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
OldTimer (09-21-2012)
09-20-2012, 10:36 PM
(09-20-2012 10:28 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  LOL love the last comment...now, is that cork deformation or is that c***...never mind...I'll just get my head out of the gutter...Tongue

Haha I was about to say that but second guessed myself and waited for someone else to point it out haha. Awesome! Big Grin

Giuga10
09-20-2012, 11:28 PM
LOL oh dear....

Anyways OT how about putting the cork in an oven for a while and then rolling it?

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-21-2012, 07:25 AM
(09-20-2012 11:28 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Anyways OT how about putting the cork in an oven for a while and then rolling it?

That may work - but if not controlled might get smelly.

I did try a few more of these tests and found that there are several types of artificial corks. The one I used in my report is made from a homogenous formed material and these work better.

Some other corks have an outer layer of denser plastic that actually bubbles up when heated too much, plus the deformation is not uniform between the outer layer and softer core.

I'm going to try another method of deformation by pressing the preheated cork into a rigid cone of suitable profile..............

See you on the river.
09-21-2012, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 12:19 PM by MuskieBait.)
OT, I know that plastic corks are more common now...but wouldn't it be easier just to work it just like you would work with a real cork material?

You can trim them down and then sand to shape, and to finish off, just use the heat gun to melt (slightly) the outer layer to seal off any holes that may be entry points for water. Or maybe even a hot knife blade against the plastic can give the same effect?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-21-2012, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 01:10 PM by OldTimer.)
Good thoughts.

Trying to come up with a fast, low labour, no mess, and minimal consumable content method using recycled materials.

EDIT......... I thought about trying the knife thing......so I went to do so, but instead tried to "skin" one of the layered type corks.... took it off on one end - came off fine, leaving the core exposed - did my heating and rolling thing - and guess what - I think this is gonna work out not too bad.............Thanks for the kickstart to go another direction Ken!

See you on the river.
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
(09-21-2012 12:44 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Good thoughts.

Trying to come up with a fast, low labour, no mess, and minimal consumable content method using recycled materials.

EDIT......... I thought about trying the knife thing......so I went to do so, but instead tried to "skin" one of the layered type corks.... took it off on one end - came off fine, leaving the core exposed - did my heating and rolling thing - and guess what - I think this is gonna work out not too bad.............Thanks for the kickstart to go another direction Ken!

You're welcome...but now I demand some demo floats now since I was involved in a critical point in the creative process. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
No problem - you send a few full wine bottles down so I can get the corks............

See you on the river.