You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Winter blues.
12-16-2013, 10:42 PM
RE: Winter blues.
I'm working on:

sorting all my terminal tackle. I have started to sort them into medium sized freezer bags
- hooks
- trebbles
- floats
- split shot/egg/no rolls
- snaps and swivels

Like you I'll be re-sorting all my lures.

Likely sell some of the rodds and reels I have not used in awhile
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2013, 08:02 PM
All my crap is still in the back of my van, including my rod, which goes diagonally right across my back windshield and I get to see it every time I look in my rear view mirror Tongue
10-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Yep................. soon again..............BUMP

Well – it’s getting close to that time………. Where ya pack up most of yer gear till spring…..

Sure there’s still a bit of fishing here and there, or ice fishing, or southern adventures……. But the best spots up here in the Great White get frozen over, closed, or vacant.

What do you do to moth ball your stuff……. If anything………..?

Here’s what I do as a long string of mini projects over many evenings or winter weekends……. etc:

- Clean most everything and dispose of all dried worms, cut pieces of line, messed up lures/hooks, petrified marshmallows, and any unknown smelly fubar substance on the bottom of my boxes, bags, and vests.
- Clean and inspect the rods – touch up any nicks with nail polish or epoxy……. Check the guides……..clean the foam handles……….steel wool the cork handles
- Clean & Lube the reels lightly as required………. Cut off any messed up line
- Re-sort and arrange the lures back to their original logically sorted homes in my tackle boxes
- Wash my fishing vests, gloves, and canvas/twill bags.
- Sharpen all my fishing related knives
- Take stock of my inventories of this and that – and replenish as necessary from ebay or sales.
- And most importantly…………..plan, plot, dream and look forward to the spring thaw……..smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
beeknight (10-07-2015)
10-01-2015, 07:11 PM
I just transition from one thing to another...year after year...there's never a "down time"...and I do all my prep before a trip.

If I come home from a saltwater trip though, I do tend to do an extra wash down of the gear.

I don't usually wait to clean out reels. If I feel something isn't right, I clean it as soon as I can. The longer you wait, the bigger the problem...especially with sand or salt.

I've never clean out my waders or my float suit. Are they supposed to be clean? Tongue

Plan, plot and dream...I do that almost every spare minute. It's not just a "down time" thing.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Time to head to Florida, I suppose.
11-21-2015, 06:11 PM
(11-16-2012 07:28 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-15-2012 09:44 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Steel wool to cork handles? Really? Or is this one of those jokes old timers pull on not so old timers Smile

No joke - a VERY light rubbing of your cork handles with very fine steel wool (000 or 0000) will get them looking and feeling like new.

I find mine get dark and glossy from the dirt/oils/slime/? they get coated with over a season or two.

Don't be too aggressive - only need to remove a few thou of the surface shmung........

Cheers,

OldTimer

try using mr. clean magic eraser on the cork, it does an amazing job at cleaning them back to new....seal with some cork sealant like u-40 sealant...
02-27-2017, 04:37 PM
...................... full bump..................

Well – it’s getting close to that time………. Where ya get back on the soft water......... so..............

Time to prepare!

- Clean most everything and dispose of all dried worms, cut pieces of line, messed up lures/hooks, petrified marshmallows, and any unknown smelly fubar substance on the bottom of my boxes, bags, and vests.
- Clean and inspect the rods – touch up any nicks with nail polish or epoxy……. Check the guides……..clean the foam handles……….steel wool the cork handles
- Clean & Lube the reels lightly as required………. Cut off any messed up line
- Re-sort and arrange the lures back to their original logically sorted homes in my tackle boxes
- Wash my fishing vests, gloves, and canvas/twill bags.
- Sharpen all my fishing related knives
- Take stock of my inventories of this and that – and replenish as necessary from ebay or sales.

- And most importantly…………..plan, plot, dream and look forward to the soon approaching full spring thaw……..smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
02-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Who has time for that? Too busy icefishing still...and then straight to Steelheading as soon as ice out...and then straight to Carp and Redhorse Suckers...and Bowfin...and Longnose Gar...and we're well into summer!

I do all that stuff any time of the year when it is necessary...or don't do them at all. Never washed my vest or waders or floatation suit Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-01-2017, 07:08 AM
(02-28-2017 04:01 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Never washed my vest or waders or floatation suit Tongue

Yes, we know.

OT

See you on the river.