You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

legal cut bite
05-08-2015, 12:52 PM
legal cut bite
Hi all,

I have a small question about "cut bite" for catfish fishing.
Is it legal to use "cut carp" as "cut bite". I did search over internet. most people use Sucker as "cut bite". I bought a carp yesterday and want use this carp for "cut bite".
I am wondering if this is leagl using carp as "cut bite".

thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2015, 01:48 PM
RE: legal cut bite
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Toll-free: 1-800-667-1940

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2015, 01:58 PM
(05-08-2015 01:48 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Toll-free: 1-800-667-1940

THANKS
05-08-2015, 02:15 PM
No problem - please post their answer when recieved.

See you on the river.
05-08-2015, 02:53 PM
(05-08-2015 02:15 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  No problem - please post their answer when recieved.

Just called the MNR. it is ok to use carp as "cut bait".
05-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Is "cut bite" the same as cut bait? I've never heard it called "bite" before.

As far as I understand it, anything can be used as cut bait unless it's specifically prohibited in the zone regs or local exceptions. For example smelt in any form is illegal as bait in some northern Ontario FMZs, and of course you can't use cut bait of any sort in waters with artificial lures only rules. Live bait has to be from among the baitfish species listed in the regs summary, but dead bait doesn't.
05-08-2015, 06:37 PM
(05-08-2015 04:39 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Is "cut bite" the same as cut bait? I've never heard it called "bite" before.

As far as I understand it, anything can be used as cut bait unless it's specifically prohibited in the zone regs or local exceptions. For example smelt in any form is illegal as bait in some northern Ontario FMZs, and of course you can't use cut bait of any sort in waters with artificial lures only rules. Live bait has to be from among the baitfish species listed in the regs summary, but dead bait doesn't.

It is typo. "Bait" is correct word
You are right. For live bait, it should be in the list. For cut bait,doesn't matter.
05-09-2015, 06:46 AM
(05-08-2015 06:37 PM)ken6503 Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 04:39 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote:  Is "cut bite" the same as cut bait? I've never heard it called "bite" before.

It is typo. "Bait" is correct word
You are right. For live bait, it should be in the list. For cut bait,doesn't matter.

One other caution worth mentioning in this:

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
05-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Good point OT, and I remember an article in OOD in which a CO explains that that rule is interpreted to mean you cannot use edible flesh of a game fish you caught as cut bait. It's fine to use inedible parts like fins, skin and eyes. It's also fine to use flesh of fish caught commercially, since the ban on wasting flesh only applies to fish caught on a recreational license. In the case of carp, if it were caught somewhere like an urban harbour on the Great Lakes where carp are highly contaminated, perhaps you could argue that the carp is not "suitable for human consumption".
05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Carp out of the Great Lakes are just as edible as trout and salmon out of the Great Lakes.
I'm willing to bet a 20lb Chinook would be much more "toxic" than a 20lb Carp.

But yeah...cutbait....carp are less than ideal anyways. You want something with a strong oily scent trail. Smelt, mackerel, etc. etc.