You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cut bait/dead bait
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Cut bait/dead bait
Simply curious to know who uses cut bait or dead bait and which types and for what fish? And do you get it at the grocery store?

Thx
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 07:40 PM by Giuga10.)
RE: Cut bait/dead bait
I've used dead bait for, Pike, Crappie, and Bass hooking the dead minnow by the spine and sitting it in the water, really effective when ice fishing.

I don't use cut bait often but I have used it when fishing in Florida for Flounder and Mackerel and once here in Canada but I was unsuccessful. Cut bait is good when fishing for Channel Catfish and Sturgeon (if you get the chance).

As for what types I use, suckers, chubs, and shiners are the best IMO. Just make sure you can legally use it before you chop it up (some baitfish are restricted) Big Grin

I get my bait fresh either from a river or lake. Now's a good time too because suckers are running and there are many good sized ones for bait. Or just buy some live ones from a bait shop and wait a lil bit Tongue.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Good topic... I've had a couple of questions on this.

Some things I have read recommend to only use fresh/unforzen cutbait... From what I see many people seem to have used frozen cut bait without issue. Any opinions?

I have used live suckers and minnows many times I guess I could buy some live and let it perish. Are there any economical fish you can get at a grocery store that would work as live bait? Or are sucker and minnows my best bet?
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
(04-03-2013 09:07 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Good topic... I've had a couple of questions on this.

Are there any economical fish you can get at a grocery store that would work as live bait? Or are sucker and minnows my best bet?

You can use sardines and anchovies but suckers and minnows are your best bet.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
zippyFX (04-03-2013)
04-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Frozen uncooked smelt or herring will occassionally work. But check the regs on use of any sort of smelt in your planned waterbody.

In fresh water:

Good sized dead suckers, chubs or minnows are good for big pike. Fresh is best, with frozen then thawed being a close second.

In my experience for catfish - fresh just killed cut sucker is best.............. whole frozen sucker thawed then cut as you go is second best................ frozen pre cut chunks of sucker is third best. It's all about freshness and scent.

Large miinows follow this in the same roll down. Again - one should follow the regs on species selection.

I think the larger catfish find suckers more appealing than other minnows - since suckers do congreagate and spawn at the same time and location as the big cats - therefore it is a learned prefence or pased on species instinct.

In the salt is an entirely different story................... I'll save that for another thread................. or perhaps an article next winter...............

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-04-2013, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 07:20 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(04-04-2013 03:53 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  In the salt is an entirely different story................... I'll save that for another thread................. or perhaps an article next winter...............

Sounds interesting OT, looking forward to that!

I'll soon be experimenting with a syringe and injecting certain things into my dead baits.... scent trail you know? Tongue Ken things I'm a druggy Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
04-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Dr. "FrankenFish" ?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-08-2013, 10:07 AM
(04-04-2013 07:19 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 03:53 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  In the salt is an entirely different story................... I'll save that for another thread................. or perhaps an article next winter...............

Sounds interesting OT, looking forward to that!

I'll soon be experimenting with a syringe and injecting certain things into my dead baits.... scent trail you know? Tongue Ken things I'm a druggy Tongue

Fish-oil based Omega-3 capsules are conveniently packaged fish scent.
* Get some thin red ribbon and cut it into worm-length strips.
* Slice the end of a capsule, squeeze the contents onto a handful of strips, and rub the oil in.
* You can add a bit of olive oil if you need to stretch this.
Most fish-based Omega-3 is a combination of salmon, sardine and anchovy oil. In bottles of 100, the cost is about 15 cents per capsule. Omega-3 is good for heart health, so if you want to use it for this as well, get a brand like SISU that removes environmental contaminants.