You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

1st post 'bout my love for fishing with a couple yarns.
03-10-2022, 03:15 AM
1st post 'bout my love for fishing with a couple yarns.
Thank you for your warm welcome to the Ontario shore fishing community. My name is Arnold and my friends call me Arnie (amongst other things)

My mother took me shore fishing to the river when I was 4 or 5 years old and I've been "hooked" ever since. That was 75 years ago and I still remember my gear. A bamboo pole, a hook, and several feet of line. I caught about 5 perch and when I hooked one I would just yank it out of the water.
In the 70's my brother and I went about 450 miles north from Montreal past Chibougamau where I landed a 25 1/2 lb. pike. The lure used was a red and white 2 or 3 inch "super duper." The only one I could find at Bass pro shops a couple years ago was about 1/4".

Before covid hit we had the annual Veterans Fishing Derby in June out of Oakville where I was lucky enough to bring in a 22.6 lb. lake trout which won 1st prize for largest trout. One other memorable thing when I was a teenager my brother and I were fishing Lake St. Louis which is just past Montreal when I saw a fish I could have sworn seemed to be just as long as the boat and swimming beside it for maybe 15-20 seconds at most. We didn't figure out till a few days after that it had to be a sturgeon.

I really would like to meet some folks who would like to go shore fishing but I now have mobility problems and if the ground is very uneven that would be difficult so I'm hoping you would know of some spots that work. Hate to say it too but my fingers also don't work to well.

It says include your signature well I'm not sure if this is what is meant by signature
but my username is love2fish.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2022, 04:17 PM
RE: 1st post 'bout my love for fishing with a couple yarns.
(03-10-2022 03:15 AM)love2fish Wrote:  Thank you for your warm welcome to the Ontario shore fishing community. My name is Arnold and my friends call me Arnie (amongst other things)

My mother took me shore fishing to the river when I was 4 or 5 years old and I've been "hooked" ever since. That was 75 years ago and I still remember my gear. A bamboo pole, a hook, and several feet of line. I caught about 5 perch and when I hooked one I would just yank it out of the water.
In the 70's my brother and I went about 450 miles north from Montreal past Chibougamau where I landed a 25 1/2 lb. pike. The lure used was a red and white 2 or 3 inch "super duper." The only one I could find at Bass pro shops a couple years ago was about 1/4".

Before covid hit we had the annual Veterans Fishing Derby in June out of Oakville where I was lucky enough to bring in a 22.6 lb. lake trout which won 1st prize for largest trout. One other memorable thing when I was a teenager my brother and I were fishing Lake St. Louis which is just past Montreal when I saw a fish I could have sworn seemed to be just as long as the boat and swimming beside it for maybe 15-20 seconds at most. We didn't figure out till a few days after that it had to be a sturgeon.

I really would like to meet some folks who would like to go shore fishing but I now have mobility problems and if the ground is very uneven that would be difficult so I'm hoping you would know of some spots that work. Hate to say it too but my fingers also don't work to well.

It says include your signature well I'm not sure if this is what is meant by signature

Hey Love2Fish,

Welcome to the OSF forum.

Must say that I found your stories amusing, plus they brought back many memories of my own.

In particular – I enjoyed your mentioning the “Super – Duper” lure. I fished many of these in my days mostly for specks and pan fish. In fact, I did at one time have one that was small enough to use on a fly line. This lure has quite the history: I believe it was originally put on the market a few years or so after WWII by South Bend….. then was produced by Gladding when they acquired South Bend in 1964…… about 1974 Luhr Jensen bought Gladding and its designs……….in 2008 Rapala purchased Luhr Jensen…….. As such, today we see the Super Duper sold by Rapala, Luhr Jensen, and Blue Fox – which are all Rapala tradenames.

A few of these lures still reside in my tackle box and do get used occasionally. One of them is an original 1950's “South Bend” in solid chrome finish.

While you might not find much specific “where to fish” info here on this site – I do hope you enjoy the many tales, articles and fishing tips here.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2022, 06:07 PM
(03-10-2022 04:17 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(03-10-2022 03:15 AM)love2fish Wrote:  Thank you for your warm welcome to the Ontario shore fishing community. My name is Arnold and my friends call me Arnie (amongst other things)

Hey Love2Fish,

Welcome to the OSF forum.

Must say that I found your stories amusing, plus they brought back many memories of my own.

In particular – I enjoyed your mentioning the “Super – Duper” lure. I fished many of these in my days mostly for specks and pan fish. In fact, I did at one time have one that was small enough to use on a fly line. This lure has quite the history: I believe it was originally put on the market a few years or so after WWII by South Bend….. then was produced by Gladding when they acquired South Bend in 1964…… about 1974 Luhr Jensen bought Gladding and its designs……….in 2008 Rapala purchased Luhr Jensen…….. As such, today we see the Super Duper sold by Rapala, Luhr Jensen, and Blue Fox – which are all Rapala tradenames.

A few of these lures still reside in my tackle box and do get used occasionally. One of them is an original 1950's “South Bend” in solid chrome finish.

While you might not find much specific “where to fish” info here on this site – I do hope you enjoy the many tales, articles and fishing tips here.

Cheers,

OldTimer
03-11-2022, 01:40 AM
Hello OldTimer,
Good to hear from you. I've read some of your posts and WOW I'm impressed with the depth of your knowledge on fishing. Very interesting 'bout the Super-Duper, I think a lot of folks have not heard of it.

Another story about the Super-Duper when we were north of Chibougamau we found a bay where we both used a small silver and a gold Super. My brother and I got a boatload of Walleye which we brought back to the area where we were camping. We shared our catch with about 4 or maybe 5 other guys we met who were also camping there. It worked out pretty good as they cleaned and cooked them and supplied the beer.

The local indigenous people are All Cree. We met one and described the bay we were at. He nodded his head and knowingly said "ah yes, that is doré Bay." In French walleye are called doré. I'm thinking, well that makes a ton of sense but I wished it was called muskellunge bay.
love2fish