Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Turkey Vultures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lots of odd things this spring.

Here's the latest in my neighbourhood: Turkey Vultures

We've got a few of these hangin around - and they're not real shy either.

[attachment=450]

Seen them in the countryside lots - but never in a housing survey.
Turkey vulture is very different kind of bird but it found very rarely.
Its size is very large that's why it looks very dangerous.
I missed this post somehow. Are they still around OT? Weather has been "different" this summer.
These particular birds moved on......

... however we now have a "resident" population in our general area that did not exist previously.
Turkey vultures are big and they may look dangerous, but they are only a threat if you are lost in the woods and dying of starvation/thirst.

They are actually pretty common. I see them often outside of the city, especially around the Niagara Escarpment near Hamilton, or anywhere with a large garbage dump. Big Grin
(09-05-2013 04:40 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Turkey vultures are big and they may look dangerous, but they are only a threat if you are lost in the woods and dying of starvation/thirst.

Great - we're all safe........... can't remember anyone in Canada lost & dead in the woods due to starvation and thirst.

OT
(09-05-2013 04:51 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2013 04:40 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Turkey vultures are big and they may look dangerous, but they are only a threat if you are lost in the woods and dying of starvation/thirst.

Great - we're all safe........... can't remember anyone in Canada lost & dead in the woods due to starvation and thirst.

OT

Any notable occurrences? I wonder if this has ever happened within the Provincial Park system...
I would imagine That there have been exposure (hypothermia) deaths, or death due to injury while lost.
A few years ago there was a pair that roosted and nested on the roof of the lower portion of an office building at Highway 401 and Liverpool Road, right in the heart of Pickering. After a few years of scaring the bejeezus out of the office workers by occasionally flapping up against the windows on the higher portion, perhaps at their own reflections on the window, they were somehow evicted, and haven't returned.
Reference URL's