Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bowfin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After learning about Bowfin last year I've been dying to catch one but have no clue as to where and when to catch them. I've heard the islands are a good place for them.

Anyone have any tips, times or places for these fish?

Any help is appreciated.
tangleline and I know about them.

The question is...what are you willing to give up for that kind of sensitive information? Tongue
(05-05-2013 06:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]tangleline and I know about them.

The question is...what are you willing to give up for that kind of sensitive information? Tongue

I led you to your lifer Western Blacknose Dace Tongue. I've already given Big Grin.
(05-05-2013 06:42 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2013 06:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]tangleline and I know about them.

I led you to your lifer Western Blacknose Dace Tongue. I've already given Big Grin.

Hm...you do have a point Tongue. Blacknose Dace only BTW Wink

We'll see how much time I have this May/June/July. If you can meet me at the Islands, I'll give you some hands on tutorial. Smile

Ask Michael...there is a lot of hands on stuff that I show/teach that is not often well transferred on pen and paper. Often, how you approach a fishing situation is very specific to timing, season and a particular fishing spot. I would much rather do hands on teaching/guiding.

Or you can go to Florida...those bowfins are hungry and everywhere in the Everglades.
I was over the Islands this weekend, saw several Bowfin in the usual locations, since the water level has come up quite a bit.
I was going to go last Sunday to scout out the area...but then steelhead came calling and I could only fish one day of the weekend...so I had to pick steelhead since I can still fish bowfin and carp when the steelhead run is done.

I may hop over to the Islands one of these evenings to see what's shaking. Did you see any carp? Are they in pre-spawn or full spawn mode? I'm hoping it is pre-spawn so at least there is a chance at those carp. Once they start spawning, there is nothing else they want to do but spawn.

Thanks for the intel Mike! Big Grin
I take the ferry straight from work so that I can get three hours fishing. Carp are in and don't seem to be spawning yet as they were taking the corn and artificial flake no problem.

*Check your PM's.
Yeah, I can usually go straight from work to the Islands too. Just a short subway ride and then catch the ferry.

Definitely going there this weekend...might be able to sneak a few hours midweek if work allows me to get off before 5pm.
I have read about the bowfin at the Islands and have been very interested in giving it a try. If the offer is open and the timing aligns I may be able to get away from the wife and kids for a morning and would love to be able to join you guys. Not sure what my TO plans are this summer but I can always be hopeful.
Reference URL's