Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: To Split Ring, or not to Split Ring?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to know how many of you tie directly to your plugs with loop knots vs split rings?

Thx
Most come with split rings...but for ones like Rapala without split ring, I often use a cross lok snap. Makes it easy to change lures too.
Generally I use a snap for lures. This year i have been trying to match my terminal tackle on my UL rod. I find the smallest snaps and swivels I can get (generally 15lbs). I think it has improved the presentation especially with the UL lures, though tie direct would be better but I hate tieng knots in the wind and in the cold.
I don't use them often, but I find that attaching a Rapala type lure with a loop knot makes for a more natural action, although snaps sure do make it easier to change lures quickly.
I prefer knots over hardware unless I'm fishing BIG lures.

I find that the snaps add one more way for the hooks or line to get fouled up on a cast.
(05-14-2013 10:06 PM)Sailor Joe Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to know how many of you tie directly to your plugs with loop knots vs split rings?

Thx

Interlock snap with ball bearing swivel is much easier for changing lure and the swivel will help reducing line twisted. On the other hand, tie a knot directly to the lure have better control and more sensitivity.
If the fish aren't being too picky or the water has low visibility then I will normally use a small snap with a swivel just so that I can change things up really fast on the fly.

If the fish are being selective or I'm fishing in really clear water I'll always tie directly to the lure. Just find a strong know that is relatively easy to tie and learn to tie it with your eyes closed. I normally go with the palomar knot. Super easy to tie and quite effective. Sometimes I find it easier to tie that knot than to open up the small snaps haha.
do I have to use loop knot? I just use palomar knot.
(05-16-2013 01:19 PM)onwind Wrote: [ -> ]do I have to use loop knot? I just use palomar knot.

The consensus from what I can glean of off various internet message boards is that a loop knot does not prohibit the intended action of the lure. Hence the split ring for those who prefer to tie a knot(or snap lock) directly to the split ring so that the lure is still free to action itself.
Reference URL's