Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: long rods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone tried spinning rods in the 9 to 13 foot range for lake fishing?

I once stood next to a fellow who was casting a few yards farther than me, and he pulled in crappies (17) on every other cast while I was skunked. He was a local and explained that I wasn't making it to the hole.

That experience has never left me, and I'm wondering how much farther you can reach with a long rod. Okuma has a 10 ft. Celilo rod that's rated for 4-12 lb. line. If there's a chance this could give me a third more distance compared to a 6.5 ft. rod, that would be interesting.

Given the same line and lure weight, how much is a 10 ft. rod worth when it comes to distance?
I bought a 9 foot Ugly stick this year just for that reason. Though I went for medium rod for bass and walleye and stuck with 6'6" UL for getting better distance on my UL for Crappie. It gives me the ability to cast my lures significantly farther it also makes for longer gentler casts with minnows. When shore fishing if you can increase the amount of water covered by 20% it can make a huge difference. Given the length though it is awkward and cumbersome to use in tight quarters. In the example you give the guy was probably using a crappie rod and the lack of backbone and it may be difficult to land larger fish.

Other things come into play as well. I have noticed that when my rods are fully spooled it makes as significant difference regardless of rod length. It can get pricey but I have been perfecting my splicing and top a spool up when it hits the half way mark.

A long rod will not help you if you can't hit the structure you want though or the structure is in reach for shorter rods. Being able to cover more unproductive water does not help you catch more fish Wink

I did an inventory of my local haunts and determined that for 3 or 4 of them a longer rod would be practical and make a difference and it has. Good structure to hit and the ability hit water farther out than others on shore has provided some success in difficult and pressured water.
sometimes my 6 foot and 7.6 foot both don't catch fish Tongue Also sometimes the casting distance can be based a little bit on the weight of the lure/line weight.
Well balanced 13' rod setup with 4 oz weight is capable of scaring the hell out of 200 yards in the proper hands, with training.

An example from a pro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28qmHlGYGE
(06-11-2013 03:58 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Well balanced 13' rod setup with 4 oz weight is capable of scaring the hell out of 200 yards in the proper hands, with training.

An example from a pro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28qmHlGYGE

I don't know about 4 oz., but if you used a water-filled bubble float or two, it would be neutral density (sink/float balance) once it hit the water.

That could be an interesting rig, even at half the distance, if you could put it where you want.
(06-11-2013 09:06 PM)alcom Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about 4 oz., but if you used a water-filled bubble float or two, it would be neutral density (sink/float balance) once it hit the water.

That could be an interesting rig, even at half the distance, if you could put it where you want.

But with the water-filled float between you and the hook it would be quite difficult to feel a bite?
I have a long rod.

I also have a few 10-foot+ fishing poles. For carp fishing, I find the length helps in getting leverage on the fish and pulling them away from snags and mussel beds. My 10-foot ultralight is great for throwing light baits from shore. Wouldn't even consider taking it into the boat.
Keep in mind too that with longer rods (generally speaking) you can get away with using lighter line because a lot more of the shock is absorbed by the rod.
(06-17-2013 06:29 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]I have a long rod.

I also have a few 10-foot+ fishing poles. For carp fishing, I find the length helps in getting leverage on the fish and pulling them away from snags and mussel beds. My 10-foot ultralight is great for throwing light baits from shore. Wouldn't even consider taking it into the boat.
Keep in mind too that with longer rods (generally speaking) you can get away with using lighter line because a lot more of the shock is absorbed by the rod.

Long is always great when you have the space for it. If you have trees beside you... a tangled, broken, knotted profanity...
Definition of a long rod seems to vary depending on where you grew up fishing. In the UK 12ft rods are "normal" and a 6-7ft rod is a really short rod. I have several 12ft rods of different weights and actions from light whip action to heavy Carp rod, and an 18 foot beach caster that allows me to hit the outer harbour dredging channel from the Wards island breakwater.

I have also used the 18ft as a pole rod and fished the middle of the island canals and weed banks for perch, using a single maggot and without casting at all. Looked crazy, but was fun and effective!

Common practice among roach fisherman in the UK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DmR5k7gEg
(06-18-2013 09:28 AM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]Definition of a long rod seems to vary depending on where you grew up .........

Oh ya... I'll leave that alone...........

Let's have a "whose got the longest rod contest"............ I know some gals who'd love to be the judges...........

smile..........

OT
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's