Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Stuck ferrule....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The middle ferrule of my 2 piece 7 foot rod has been stuck for over a week... anybody know any techniques to unstick? I tried using an extra set of hands to apply straight pressure back, but it's almost glued shut

It's a Shimano Clarus 7 foot 2 piece medium heavy.
Maybe a strap wrench would work. The one on my shimano rod gets stuck often. Havn't had to use any tools yet to get it apart. I would say a vice....but i don't know if your rod is hollow or not. And if using a vice you would have to pad the rod were it would be put in the vice.
You must have got some schmung in there..... smile.

Pour some boiling hot water on the female end only - this may loosen the static adhesion - work quickly.

If you do get it apart .......... clean the connections well, and dry them WELL ........... then do the nose thing. Test it....... if still jamming up a VERY light steel wool buff of the male end should help (don't overdo this).

OT
I wonder if something like this is covered under warranty... before I break the rod trying to unstick it LOL
Don't pull straight. Grip the rod on either end of the ferrules and twist as you pull them apart. Don't bend it but give it a corkscrew twist. If all fails, send it back to Shimano and claim that it is manufacturer defect (mismatched rod sections that are made too tight for each other).
No sense of mystery & adventure huh?............ live by the rod or die by the rod........ or is that sword???????????
WD 40...or sewing machine oil--messy but it works
Darn tootin I just got it apart!!! Whooo!!!!

I wrapped the whole ferrule in a baggie of ice water, let it sit for 5 minutes, then pulled straight back on each side with rubber grips... came apart without issue!

I had tried the ice water a few weeks ago without the rubber grips, I think they made the difference here.

A valuable link:

http://www.florida-guides.com/florida-gu...rules.html

And the safe 2-man pull (this worked for Mcfly and I a few days ago):

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishi...smart-way/

edit: Also saved me the $40 it would have cost to ship the entire 7 foot rod back to Shimano!
Reference URL's