Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pike or walleye fishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, All

My son is dreaming to catch pike or walleye. Do you know any good spot withing 1-2 hrs drive from Toronto. We do not have a boat

Thank you
If you want to go after pike... you don't need to go outside Toronto. timing is key...Pike goes for deeper waters on summer...So anywhere you go you have to fish deep for them. Walleye I would suggest Rice lake sundown. August - until the pike season closes...pike patrols shallow water...at this point...you can't go wrong with suspending plugs on slow-dead retrieve.
(07-16-2013 01:50 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to go after pike... you don't need to go outside Toronto. timing is key...Pike goes for deeper waters on summer...So anywhere you go you have to fish deep for them. Walleye I would suggest Rice lake sundown. August - until the pike season closes...pike patrols shallow water...at this point...you can't go wrong with suspending plugs on slow-dead retrieve.

Thank you for good suggestion, rich_ace_G
Any specific place on Rice Lake you would recommend to go where I can safely leave a car?

Thank you again
I booked a resort with my family when I fish Rice Lake. But it is a great area for walleye fishing. If you're going for pike. Any marina in Lake Ontario in the GTA will have them. The best time to catch them is ice out.
(07-16-2013 02:57 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote: [ -> ]I booked a resort with my family when I fish Rice Lake. But it is a great area for walleye fishing. If you're going for pike. Any marina in Lake Ontario in the GTA will have them. The best time to catch them is ice out.

Thank you. I'll try Rice Lake and post my report if any success :-)
This area is in Pickering but it is an amazing place for Pike, it's called Frenchmans Bay. It's part of Lake ontario and has amazing shore fishing for Pike. For Walleye like rich said try Rice Lake. Another great lake for Walleye is Lake Scugog and you can often hook up with Muskies when fishing for Walleye at Scugog, my dad caught a 3 lber while fishing a plastic grub and I hooked up with a 15 lber while fishing the same set up.

Good luck.
You can certainly catch good pike out on the islands. Red and white spoons are simple and work well.

The key is covering lots of water I believe.
Pike started out pretty good iced out this year. I caught about 20 pikes from Feb(ice out) until it closed. I was expecting voracious hungry pikes after spawn but It was quite slow eversince and nothing but a bunch of juveniles...and with this heat we're getting...i doubt if it will get better. I will cut down on targeting them for now...they will be hungry and vicious september till xmas.
(07-16-2013 06:42 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]This area is in Pickering but it is an amazing place for Pike, it's called Frenchmans Bay. It's part of Lake ontario and has amazing shore fishing for Pike. For Walleye like rich said try Rice Lake. Another great lake for Walleye is Lake Scugog and you can often hook up with Muskies when fishing for Walleye at Scugog, my dad caught a 3 lber while fishing a plastic grub and I hooked up with a 15 lber while fishing the same set up.

Good luck.

Good point !!! Thank you a lot Smile I totally forgot about Lake Scugog. Is any part of this lake you would recommend to go?

(07-17-2013 09:10 AM)rich_ace_G Wrote: [ -> ]Pike started out pretty good iced out this year. I caught about 20 pikes from Feb(ice out) until it closed. I was expecting voracious hungry pikes after spawn but It was quite slow eversince and nothing but a bunch of juveniles...and with this heat we're getting...i doubt if it will get better. I will cut down on targeting them for now...they will be hungry and vicious september till xmas.

Sorry, but I am a little bit confused. Is it not good time for pike now?
(07-17-2013 11:00 AM)phnx73 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but I am a little bit confused. Is it not good time for pike now?

shore fishing...it would not be easy as pike tend to go deep with this heat we're having. if you troll then it would be awesome. sundown.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's