Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Tackle/Fishing Supplies..Tips/Tricks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A quick tip from the past- hook sorter/organizer idea - that a few may not have seen:

[attachment=722]

OT
That's brilliant, especially for small hooks!
.......... and barrel/3way swivels, and snaps, and beads, and large flies......... etc.
In getting my gear ready for the soft water I discovered a new use for my Fish Gripper.

............ to help hold the hooks shafts while sharpening the tips.

Not as good as a fly vise but - sure better than fumbling around with my large digits, and speeds it up having a more firmly anchored hook shaft. And it'll work out on/in the water too.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Today I was starting to prepare my gear for an upcoming trip...... and in doing so I was reminded that I had never posted my "tied on lure hooking guard" idea before……….

Simple idea I came up with years ago to prevent visiting racoons from getting hooked up on lures I leave tied on overnight and resting in the boat or leaned up against the cottage wall………. Had a nasty experience one night where a young racoon got hooked up to a few trebles on a Rebel minnow.

It also works in your car, closet etc, etc………

Save the larger of your prescription pill bottles with pliable plastic lids…they must be long enough to swallow the lure completely……. Using heavy kitchen snip or pair of tin snips, or such – snip the lid’s collar and in towards the center just a bit.

When you store your rod …. Open the pill bottle, drop the tied on lure into it…… run the line into the snip cut………. Screw the lid back on the bottle………… done………. Safe plus!

Cheers,

OldTimer
Hey,

Being late April - Trout opening day is just a few days away.

But, also - it's spawning season for White Sucker.

In my opinion cut bait from White Sucker is the best bait for Channel Cats...... they are more hardy than chubs or shiners (tougher skin).

...... so:

If you happen to catch smaller (8-10") White Suckers in the days ahead - take them home for cat fish bait.

Frozen whole in a zip lock bag they will be ok for use all of this year.

Take one along on your outing and cut it as needed on the water.

Don't use head nor tail - discard properly on shore - don't pitch them in the water as their scent will compete with your offerings at the time.

Cheers,

OldTimer
(04-21-2015 02:36 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Don't use head nor tail - discard properly on shore - don't pitch them in the water as their scent will compete with your offerings at the time.

Thanks OT?

Why not use the head? I get good results by running my hook through the eyes. Just need to make sure the hook is big enough to still have a suitable gap.
as you confirm - I've found that using the head can, in 2/0 (or smaller) hooks, reduce hooking % on a take.

Plus not as much scent as the body cavity sections.
The free flexible plastic yard sticks available at Ikea stores for measuring furniture etc............. are ideal for your vest, pocket or tackle box for use in measuring your catch.

Cheers,

OldTimer
I recently discovered something else that is an indispensable fishing tool.

My watch………… I forgot it.

[attachment=1488]

Not having it highlighted how much I referred to it while fishing.
I had no idea how long I’d been fishing a spot, when the sun will rise (mine lights up), how long I’d been using a particular lure, how long my bait had been in the water, what time I should head home……….

All of these are important pieces of information to me, and can contribute to success………… etc.

How bout you?

Cheers,

OldTimer
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference URL's