Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: The new Burlington Pier 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This new pier opened in Burlington in June – but I hadn’t visited it until 2 weeks ago.

The pier goes out into Lake Ontario about 400 feet.

It’s really more of an observation deck than a functioning pier – the deck is about 15-20 feet above the water’s surface, there is no possibility of docking here and the 5 foot tall inward arching handrails and intermediate safety cables make seeing the water directly below the edge impossible (therefore netting a catch won’t happen).

Even still – it is a very scenic place to visit, and the surrounding landscaping is well done.

http://www.tourismburlington.com/burling...-memories/

A few pics:

[attachment=639]

Cheers,

OldTimer
That looks like a great place to visit. Kids would love it! I'll try and head out there next weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks, OT!
(09-01-2013 02:31 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]This new pier opened in Burlington in June – but I hadn’t visited it until 2 weeks ago.

The pier goes out into Lake Ontario about 400 feet.

It’s really more of an observation deck than a functioning pier – the deck is about 15-20 feet above the water’s surface, there is no possibility of docking here and the 5 foot tall inward arching handrails and intermediate safety cables make seeing the water directly below the edge impossible (therefore netting a catch won’t happen).

Even still – it is a very scenic place to visit, and the surrounding landscaping is well done.

http://www.tourismburlington.com/burling...-memories/

A few pics:
It looks very nice. Is fishing allowed there?

Cheers,

OldTimer
I understand that fishing is allowed at present.

However do note that there are a lot of sightseers on weekends............

Also I remind you that netting a catch is , from my perspective, impossible.

OT
Unless you have a pier net. Wink
(09-05-2013 03:59 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you have a pier net. Wink

Cant see the water, vision is underslung a good 1.5 feet from plumb. I cant see how one would control the net positioning.
I was in Burlington in early July for dinner and drove by the pier; It did look nice but we did not get a chance to get out and take a look.
(09-05-2013 04:21 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]

Cant see the water, vision is underslung a good 1.5 feet from plumb. I cant see how one would control the net positioning.

I see...that's unfortunate. Undecided
(09-06-2013 03:43 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-05-2013 04:21 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]

I see...that's unfortunate. Undecided

Yeah no kidding - I was really looking forward to this pier coming available to me.

Maybe I'll still go - and give it a shot.

Here's a better picture of the situation:

[attachment=652]

OT
It may work near the elbows if the angler holding the rod can direct the net guy where to position the net...or direct the fish to the net...but that's not for novice...

And unfortunately, a sliding gaff is not very conservation minded either. Tongue
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's