Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Losing a lot of hooks and sinkers...help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I can really relate to that.......... the "watching grass grow" thing ..............

But more to the point of this thread:

In my fishing......... I've found that short shank hooks have been less "snag-able" IN FRESHWATER BOTTOM FISHING than full J hooks or Carlisle/Aberdeen styles............... you?

OT
Interesting. To be honest, I haven't notice much difference. I typically use baitholder or octopus hooks for bottom fishing (live or dead bait). Both seems equally "snag-able" to me. I usually use 3-way, split shot, sliding egg, sliding bell or the dropshot rig for bottom fishing...and didn't notice much of a difference.
I think we are likely to scare sonicsink, she asks a simple questions and all the keeners try to one up each other Smile Smile
Don't be sacred...there's lots to learn...

And not trying to one up each other...just discussing each others' experiences and opinions. Not everything has to agree..."there's more than one way to skin a fish" Wink
Thanks for all the ideas (and the math lesson! Confused LOL) I haven't been scared off yet, I've just had to do a lot of googling on all these fish terms. It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

I'll try some of the things suggested, maybe even just use a slip bobber set up and see how that goes, and if I lose too many more sinkers, I'll just raid my husbands work shop Tongue
(09-18-2013 10:54 AM)sonicsink Wrote: [ -> ]It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

Not really........... It's as complicated as you wish to make it... Just make it fun.

Along the way - A lot of us "so-called" experienced anglers have had out butts kicked by a youngster, or novice, just fishing a simple bait setup.

Cheers,

OldTimer
(09-18-2013 04:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-18-2013 10:54 AM)sonicsink Wrote: [ -> ]It's a lot more complicated than just sticking a hook on a line!

Not really........... It's as complicated as you wish to make it... Just make it fun.

Along the way - A lot of us "so-called" experienced anglers have had out butts kicked by a youngster, or novice, just fishing a simple bait setup.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Ain't that the truth.... This summer my 6 year old caught the big bass swimming around the dock on worm and bobber (I did switch him to a circle hook though) while my brother in law and me were skunked.

He had bragging rights that evening Smile
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's