Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Where to look for bass in the Fall?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Weeds are dying off and turning brown. Where should I be looking for bass?

Are they moving to deeper structures or can I still find them by shoreline woodfall?
Pay attention to water temps...an area that is a few degrees warmer usually hold fish..
I find the largemouth first to go but I tend to still find bass in the weeds; Though the size tends to be smaller.
I was at a small pond on the weekend with my kids, we could see the bass just swimming out in the shallows when it was sunny and they were biting. Once the clouds moved in though, they went deep. We didn't see them anymore and they stopped biting as well.
(10-07-2013 09:55 PM)sonicsink Wrote: [ -> ]I was at a small pond on the weekend with my kids, we could see the bass just swimming out in the shallows when it was sunny and they were biting. Once the clouds moved in though, they went deep. We didn't see them anymore and they stopped biting as well.

That's the kind of observations that will make you a better angler in the long run. Always look for the little subtle difference and think through the what, why, where, what and how. Wink
lake scugog from the shore at the boat launch using crankbaits
(10-07-2013 04:40 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]Weeds are dying off and turning brown. Where should I be looking for bass?

Are they moving to deeper structures or can I still find them by shoreline woodfall?

Depends on the water "type"........... and whether smallmouth or largemouth are the target.

ie - sterile Muskoka/Algonquin.......... weedy Kawartha/Trent Severn.........Crystal clear river........... muddy river.......... etc.

But in all cases - boils down to where their food is.

OT
Right now when the temps are playing around 14 - 19 degrees... you can catch bass 5 - 7 ft. from the surface. anything deeper would be pike territory. but of course who mind catching pike? i only use senkos & tubes on fall.
At a small pond I frequent in Brampton the LMB are cruising the shoreline right now, making them an easy catch for the next week or two. They seem to follow the shaded shoreline and then head deeper when they hit sunlight. Also, if I pull up brown weeds I will move around until I find green weeds. That is how I track Bass in my local pond this time of year.
On the Mississippi in the Almonte to Arnprior stretch you'll find the SMB holding up on any submerged logs and under-cuts along the banks.

They are a bit picky though and you'll likely have to use hooks with bait fish or other small bait fish imitations and / or worms. They are feeding but not aggressive so leave the spinners, spinner baits, jigging frogs/hogs and the rest of the top water stuff at home.

The small mouth and dace are still hugging the bottom and will react greedily to pinched worms / maggots very well during full sunlight.

Mike
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's