Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: How does one fish a steep, weedy dropoff from shore?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's a challenging question for the best shore-fishing minds out there.

There's a lake I know that has quite a unique depth profile. It drops to 50 feet of depth just 20 or 30 feet out from shore. Making things more interesting is that there is a ring of tall weeds that extends for the first 10 feet out. My line is ploughing through the weedbed on each and every retrieve, killing sensitivity. If I was on the other side of the weeds, it wouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions?
You have a kayak...Rolleyes Tongue

What kind of presentation would you like to make? Lures or live bait?
Minimize the retrieves through the weeds. 4 suggestions:

1. Bait (leeches, worms, dead minnow) with a good size slip bobber, bead with small diameter hole on line above bobber & a tied on stopper knot set for deep water . Use small diameter dacron and it will cast not too bad (you’ll get the occasional hang up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjiT3hKyYk

2. Top water lures.

3. Dead stick whacky rigged plastic worm.

…………….But still you’ll be fighting all retrieves and any hookup through the weeds.

4. Use a Boat…………… smile

Cheers,

OldTimer
(10-28-2013 12:34 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]You have a kayak...Rolleyes Tongue

What kind of presentation would you like to make? Lures or live bait?

I guess I should have clarified, I'm trying to use lures. But live bait under a slip float like OT mentioned would be a logical way around the debunkle.

My kayak doesn't always come out to play! It's getting cold you know, wouldn't want to fall over and flood my waders... Dodgy

(10-28-2013 02:42 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Minimize the retrieves through the weeds. 4 suggestions:

1. Bait (leeches, worms, dead minnow) with a good size slip bobber, bead with small diameter hole on line above bobber & a tied on stopper knot set for deep water . Use small diameter dacron and it will cast not too bad (you’ll get the occasional hang up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQjiT3hKyYk

2. Top water lures.

3. Dead stick whacky rigged plastic worm.

…………….But still you’ll be fighting all retrieves and any hookup through the weeds.

4. Use a Boat…………… smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

LOL at tip number 4. Really, this is a perfect scenario where a boat grants anglers a huge advantage.

Has anyone ever caught anything on a dead sticked plastic worm? That feels like the most boring thing to do LOL... because you know the plastic worm isn't even wriggling! Tongue
If you're thinking of presenting a small-medium live bait close to the bottom...a polaris self locking float is your new best friend...

I would go with a large 'pike' model. Available at newworldcarp.com

Your line would run right under the surface to the float and subsequently drop straight down to your bait which would be rigged just above a weight sitting right on the bottom. You'd know as soon as something picks it up.
(10-28-2013 08:08 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]My kayak doesn't always come out to play! It's getting cold you know, wouldn't want to fall over and flood my waders... Dodgy

That's what I like to hear...responsible kayaking/fishing. Big Grin

It's difficult with lures. Deadstick plastic worms can catch fish...but like you said, almost no action.

How about THOSE frogs? Granted, it'll be a surface bite only...and being that it's fall time, fish are less apt to hit something on top.
(10-28-2013 08:26 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]If you're thinking of presenting a small-medium live bait close to the bottom...a polaris self locking float is your new best friend...

Your line would run right under the surface to the float and subsequently drop straight down to your bait which would be rigged just above a weight sitting right on the bottom. You'd know as soon as something picks it up.

I tried googling an explanation for how those floats work, but I didn't find anything. I assume those polaris floats set their own depth, no bobber stop required? That sounds nifty.

(10-28-2013 10:19 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]How about THOSE frogs? Granted, it'll be a surface bite only...and being that it's fall time, fish are less apt to hit something on top.

Well... I don't know if anything is cruising up top. I've worked a fair assortment of subsurface lures in various retrieves and haven't gotten hit. I don't know... I'll figure it out eventually though.
(10-29-2013 10:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2013 10:19 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]How about THOSE frogs? Granted, it'll be a surface bite only...and being that it's fall time, fish are less apt to hit something on top.

Well... I don't know if anything is cruising up top. I've worked a fair assortment of subsurface lures in various retrieves and haven't gotten hit. I don't know... I'll figure it out eventually though.

I still wouldn't discount trying a few dozen casts or so with a surface popper. Make lots of racket - like 3 violent jerks immediately back to back then a slow retrieve for a foot and repeat......etc....... if they are hungry, smallmouth will come up quite a distance to hit a popper - but first they gotta hear or feel it.

OT
(10-29-2013 10:41 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2013 08:26 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]If you're thinking of presenting a small-medium live bait close to the bottom...a polaris self locking float is your new best friend...

I tried googling an explanation for how those floats work, but I didn't find anything. I assume those polaris floats set their own depth, no bobber stop required? That sounds nifty.

That's exactly how they work. You cast out and the float rises up the line. Once the weight settles on the bottom, you slowly tighten your line and the float locks into place. No stop needed. This allows you to fish a stationary float at any depth.
I want to see how the Polaris floats work next time. They can suit some of my fishing situations...but I may be fishing deeper than 20 feet (maybe even as deep as 100+ feet). Think it'll work that deep?

These floats are really attractive since I much prefer to carp fish with float rigs...but fishing a float rig in 6+ feet of water presents casting issues unless you use a long rod.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's