Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ontario Target Species
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wondering who has their sights set on what Ontario species in the foreseeable future...

Here are mine in order from 'likely to catch' to 'no chance in hell'...

bowfin
lake whitefishAngryHuhAngryHuh
grass pickerel
yellow bullhead
quillback
white crappie
black redhorse
buffalo (all 3)
warmouth
blackfin cisco
bloater
Now that's a fun game...

Rosyface Shiner (I know where they live...and I probably have caught one already...but undocumented)
Longnose Dace (Saw one last year...but haven't seen any since...but at least I know where to look)
Iowa Darter (They are supposed to be in the Humber...)
Mature Atlantic Salmon (Just a matter of time I guess)
Lake Chub (Apparently a creek in Mississauga has them near the mouth...transient? Migratory?)
Longnose Sucker (Gotta drive north...)
Round Whitefish (No clue where to find them yet)
Bigmouth Buffalo (Kazu told me he saw them in the Grand...but I've yet to see one)
River Redhorse (I hate these guys)
Black Redhorse (I have a better chance winning the lottery than finding one in Ontario)
Black Buffalo (I think I have a better chance catching a Black Redhorse than a Black Buffalo)

I see your Bloater...and I raise you a...

Kiyi

BTW...you forgot Spotted Gar, Northern Sunfish and Orangespotted Sunfish Wink
My list is short for Ontario:

A pike from my life long visited muskoka lake. (they are a recent addition in the mix there)

A Zone 20 caught Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon >5 lbs.

Mirror Carp of SIZE from anywhere.

That's all.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Mirror Carp
Atlantic Salmon
Brook Stickleback
Lake Trout
Whitefish
Muskie
Any Gar
Any Buffalo
Tubenose Goby

The list could go on forever, just can't think of them all.
And in no particular order:

- Gar: Never got around to it this year.
- Salmon (any type)
- Suckers (any type): I could not get into in any in my neck of the woods might have to move into a couple of different locations
- Redhorse (any type)
- Sturgeon
For Me its WALLEYE..........
Fishchaser76, we're talking about new Ontario species you've yet to catch and you are making an effort to target and catch...unless you have yet to catch a walleye. Because catching the same species over and over again, year after year after year...is kinda yawn...and meh...

Zippy, you should meet up with Eli in the spring to fish for redhorse. He can at least point you in the right direction to find some Shorthead Redhorse and Silver Redhorse. Actually, you could possibly still catch some right now on the Ottawa River. Just go out and soak half a nightcrawler on bottom.
(11-14-2013 04:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Just go out and soak half a nightcrawler on bottom.

In a bit calmer location than you usually fish, and perhaps a bit shallower...... in the back of a slower eddy... or off the side of a current seam. The bites are almost imperceptible- just a twitch or two - you will not get a classic "strike" or big tug.

When you check your bait (recommended) -reel in slowly till taught and always set the hook for a possible unseen quarry.

OT
(11-14-2013 05:26 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2013 04:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Just go out and soak half a nightcrawler on bottom.

In a bit calmer location than you usually fish, and perhaps a bit shallower...... in the back of a slower eddy... or off the side of a current seam. The bites are almost imperceptible- just a twitch or two - you will not get a classic "strike" or big tug.

When you check your bait (recommended) -reel in slowly till taught and always set the hook for a possible unseen quarry.

OT

Yeah, Silver Redhorse are famous for just "being there" when you went to check bait...especially when you think you have not had a bite for a long time and wonder if you still have bait on your hook. Wink I find Golden Redhorse will do that occasionally. Shorthead Redhorse usually give you a pretty good tap.
Black redhorse will be a 3-day target starting June 14th! They'll be there in the middle of June along with most other species that inhabit that river. It's a very fishy spot. A serious groundbaiting campaign will be had to get everything into a feeding mood.

Mazinaw Lake (Bon Echo Park) has lake chub. Had a bunch scatter away from the canoe last October.

Bloater...Kiyi......don't know that there is a single record out there of either having ever been caught on hook and line.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's