Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Whirlpool for Steel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys
Going to whirlpool tomorrow for steelies, hope the water is clear enough. Anyone been in the last day or 2 or plan on getting away tomorrow. At worst it will be a nice hike.
Did you make it there?
Yes I made it down, and again another great day fishing but not so much for catching.
I had a couple swipes real close that I could see they were small steelies but no hook ups on #4 blue fox spinner hand painted black bell and outside blade.
Had 1 take a 3" power bait black/silver shiner on float but again no hookup.

Water was full of tree branches and the clarity was about 1 1/2 meter.
There was about 10 others around the pool all floating and did not see anyone hook up.
Looks like my next trip down will be early in the new year, probably next Saturday or Sunday.
Thanks for the report. I was reading Niagara fishing board, water clarity was only 1ft on dec 28.

I heard that it was double double in water clarity color within the last few days. Non one catching so far.

Water could also be higher than normal since it was the holiday season, the city have released more water than normal. Weather has been unpredictable , very cold next few days.

Once water clarity settles, specially around Feb, where lake Erie completely froze over, blocking strong SW wind from stirring up the water. Niagara water should be clearer and more fisheable. Bright Sunny days are more preferable fishing condition during winter months down there.

I am dropping my wife and daughter at Buffalo Airport early morning on Jan 2, for some music competition in Denver, CO. Though it will be very cold at -12, I will try to fish Port D for few hours on my way back. Anyone wants to join me, PM me. Niagara would still be unfisheable IMO.
I didn't realize water clarity was such a big part of it. How have things been down there recently?

The hike would sure be one way to warm up in this cold spell Tongue
(01-06-2014 09:44 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't realize water clarity was such a big part of it. How have things been down there recently?

Ahem...water clarity is ALWAYS a big part of fishing success...need I remind you again? Tongue
Went down last Saturday for a couple hours in the afternoon
Clarity still not real good, lots of ice flow but still fishable.
Had a strike right at shore didn't get the hook. Using 3" shiner power bait, changed to a bigger hook but never got another, was a laker.
one guy got one but he was to far to see what it was or what he got it on.
Think I will go again Saturday, will report if I go.
Yes, Clarity is very important.
CHeck Niagarafishing.net forum. the water clarity report by local anglers can only be viewed if you sign up. I am very active on that forum, and very familiar with niagara river. I have been patiently waiting for a more suitable condition to fish there.
1. water clarity were mostly based if wind direction few days before were not SW wind, clarity can also be viewed at this site if not covered with clouds that day http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/m...n=e&page=1

2. No floating ice or other debris.
Thanks for the links fishfight.
Had the day off work so I took my outfit for a hike down at the Niagara on Thursday to see what the conditions were like. Had a look at the whirlpool from up top and it did not look to promising. So I started at the Glen, went down river and found a small pool to cast into about 300 to 400 meters up stream from pebbly. After about an hour the ice came in, no hits. Looking up river it looked iced in along the shore so I decided to just go for a hike to the pool to check out conditions. The ice shelves were higher than I have seen down there in many years, and any open water where you could drop a line was just way too dangerous. I would say we won't be fishing down there until at least middle of March.
[Image: 1urcPX4.jpg]
[Image: iCvB2U6.jpg]
[Image: W5SjQnJ.jpg]
It was a nice day for a hike
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's