Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bait Needles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I get a kick out of trying things in a different way, so this year I plan to investigate the more widespread use of baiting needles for freshwater fishing.

Most carp anglers have used short baiting needles for their “hair rigs”.

I’ve used long needles for large “whole fish” baits in saltwater, and to a degree for trolling baits in freshwater.

What got me pondering this was that I’ve just seen a video where a gent used a baiting needle to thread an entire “ripened” hotdog , from end to end, onto a leader above a hook to use as catfish bait. (Which I plan to try for sure in a few months’ time).

But why not thread on an entire dew worm… might thwart or slow down a lot of the bait stealers (i.e goby).

….. or “sew” on a cut bait above a circle hook with multiple stitches.
……..etc.

Just might lengthen re-baiting periods and perhaps save a few $ on bait too..

Any of you tried this?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

OldTimer
I don't think threading on an entire dew worm would stop the bait stealers. If you watch how these little fish attack a bait, they don't simply start from the ends. They will bit off chunks and bits of the side of the worm too. I've tried it before by threading a whole worm and passing the worm up the line and it didn't work.

As for sewing a cut bait above a circle hook, I'm somewhat tried that in Florida. I basically bridled the steak of baitfish onto the hook. It stays on quite well, but if the bait stealers are ravenous, it will still get chewed to bits. However, by bridling the bait onto the hook, it remains attached to the hook quite well despite putting pressure on the cast. I didn't have an instance where the bait was cast off the hook when I bridle it. The real benefit I seen in bridling the bait on a circle hook is so that the bait doesn't fold back around the hook point and obstruct it. This is especially important for circle hooks.
(01-14-2014 07:33 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think threading on an entire dew worm would stop the bait stealers. If you watch how these little fish attack a bait, they don't simply start from the ends. They will bit off chunks and bits of the side of the worm too. I've tried it before by threading a whole worm and passing the worm up the line and it didn't work.

As for sewing a cut bait above a circle hook, I'm somewhat tried that in Florida. I basically bridled the steak of baitfish onto the hook. It stays on quite well, but if the bait stealers are ravenous, it will still get chewed to bits. However, by bridling the bait onto the hook, it remains attached to the hook quite well despite putting pressure on the cast. I didn't have an instance where the bait was cast off the hook when I bridle it. The real benefit I seen in bridling the bait on a circle hook is so that the bait doesn't fold back around the hook point and obstruct it. This is especially important for circle hooks.

Yes, I don't hold out a lot of hope on the worm thing - but I'll still give it a go to see if there's any benefit, in any way............

I agree it will help with cut bait re surviving a power cast - plus I'm actually hoping that it might minimize the "over exposure" of the hook after cast(s)

Anybody ever try the "entire" hot dog thing? Definitely a "big" fish sorta bait..............

OT
I can imagine how to thread on a whole hotdog for bait that would also make it easy to rebait when necessary.

1) Tie a strong loop knot to the end of the line (surgeon loop, perfection loop...etc)

2) Thread the hotdog onto the bait needle

3) Put the loop into the the hook end of the bait needle

4) Thread the hotdog onto the line

5) Pass the loop through the hook eye, then pass the hook through the loop and tighten (in effect, it's similar to making a loop-to-loop connection but with the loop and the hook eye.

Now you have a secured hook connection yet you can easily remove this connection to rebait.

You can also do this when threading a whole nightcrawler onto the line.
Good one ........ and perhaps better than the snelled hook scenario........... and one less knot.

OT
Reference URL's