Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hello OSF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone: I've been lurking around this board here and there for a while and finally decided to join. I started fishing last spring with my son, and we are addicted. We went to the spring show at the Int'l Center last weekend, and that just got me wanting to go out even more (I don't ice fish -yet). I'm in Keswick, so Lake Simcoe is pretty handy, but we'd love to try other places for different species- especially trout. All we do is catch & release. As for my name, I'm also a VERY avid fossil collector, and my avatar is a 50 million or so year old herring type fish from Wyoming. Looking forward to learning some tips and tricks here.
Hey FossilFish,

Welcome to OSF. Glad you've given up that lurking thing.

Fossil collecting sounds like an interesting hobby and probably matches well with angling. I would imagine there's lots available in this province. What is your "prize" find so far from here?

I'm sure you'll learn a few things about fishing here.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Welcome FossilFish!

Awesome hobby, I've collected a few fossils from some local waterbodies in my area, nothing amazing or spectacular though just small snails and invertebrates.

Would love to hear about some of your fossils.

Giuga10
Here are a couple of my best finds. Everything around here is invertebrate, way too old for bones. Give or take, these are around 450 million years old.
And to keep it forum related, here's a primitive fish tooth from younger deposits west of London. This is about 385 million yrs old. Fish material from here is uncommon, but can be found. There are also tiny shark teeth at the same site, but still lacking in my collection. The Ausable River runs right thru this particular site, and I always see people fishing, but I've never seen anything being caught.
Wow! Cool fossils!

I'd love to get into some fossil hunting. Been to Craigleigh a couple of years ago to see some of the fossils there. I would like to collect some fossil and learn about rock formations, but haven't had much time to get into it.

Here's an offer...I'll take you and your son fishing and you'll take me fossil hunting?

Here are some images you'll appreciate. I took these in British Columbia.

Therapod print

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008078.jpg]

Ornithropod print

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008081.jpg]

Ankylosaur hind print

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008076.jpg]

Ankylosaur fore print

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008087.jpg]

Slab full of prints

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008088.jpg]

I can honestly say I found this one. It was on a freshly fallen block of rock that was the size of a large shoe box. It looks like a small therapod print. I could have taken it home with me, but did the honourable thing and left it in its place. Can't say for sure it is still there now. This was back in 2008.

[Image: BC_Calgary_2008090.jpg]
Muskie: Neat prints! Once this white stuff disappears, I'll be sure to take you up on that offer
Sound good! Look forward to it! We can do a bit of fossil hunting and a bit of fishing on the same day. Wink
As a staunch Creationist I'm quite offended by the notion that the bones in those rocks are millions of years old.
(02-24-2014 10:26 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]As a staunch Creationist I'm quite offended by the notion that the bones in those rocks are millions of years old.

LOL
(02-24-2014 10:26 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]As a staunch Creationist I'm quite offended by the notion that the bones in those rocks are millions of years old.

Did the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy ask you to say that?

OT
Reference URL's