Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Randy's 2014 OSF Multi-Species Challenge Entries - 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hoping to catch some new species this year Smile I have many on my list.

1. Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris) -May 25, 2014 - Zone 16 Lake (Brampton)
[Image: SAM_1142.jpg]

2. Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus) -June 1, 2014 - Zone 16 Pond (Brampton)
[Image: SAM_1145.jpg]

3. Black Crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus) -June 8, 2014 - Zone 16 Lake (Brampton)
[Image: new.jpg]

4. White Perch (Morone americana) -June 17, 2014 - Zone 16 River
[Image: SAM_1165.jpg]

5. Yellow Perch (Perca flavescens) -July 14, 2014 - Zone 16 Lake(Brampton)
[Image: SAM_1197.jpg]

6. Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) -July 22, 2014 - Zone 16 River (Mississauga)
[Image: SAM_1213.jpg]

7. Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) - August 24, 2014 - Zone 16 pond (Etobicoke)
[Image: gill.jpg~original]

Interesting others:

Green Sunfish/Pumpkinseed hybrid
[Image: pic-3.jpg]
Hey Randy, this is a Green Sunfish, not a Pumpkinseed sunfish. You can identify it by its bigger mouth, blue streak on the face, blue/green streaks on the body especially closer to the tail, and the orange margins in the pelvic, anal, dorsal and caudal (tail) fins. None of the native sunfish species in Ontario have orange margins on all the fins like that, and especially not on the caudal fin. The spawning male Orangespotted Sunfish may have red dorsal and anal fins, but the margin of the caudal fin is not orange. This one looks like a pure Green Sunfish and not a hybrid product of other sunfish species with a Green Sunfish parent.

Good catch. Green Sunfish is native to Ontario. They are not rare, but in much fewer number than other sunfish species...with the exception of maybe the Warmouth and Orangespotted Sunfish. They pop up here and there in southern Ontario but they are not really consistently found in any given spot, unless it is southwestern Ontario. Some streams in the area of Essex-Kent seem to have more Green Sunfish.

We have 6 recognized sunfish species in Ontario.

Pumpkinseed
Bluegill Sunfish
Warmouth
Orangespotted Sunfish
Green Sunfish
Northern Sunfish

There is the rare Redear Sunfish reported, but it is usually close to the US border or waters closely shared with the US border. They don't naturally occur in Ontario from what I can gather.
(06-03-2014 08:09 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Randy, this is a Green Sunfish, not a Pumpkinseed sunfish. You can identify it by its bigger mouth, blue streak on the face, blue/green streaks on the body especially closer to the tail, and the orange margins in the pelvic, anal, dorsal and caudal (tail) fins. None of the native sunfish species in Ontario have orange margins on all the fins like that, and especially not on the caudal fin. The spawning male Orangespotted Sunfish may have red dorsal and anal fins, but the margin of the caudal fin is not orange. This one looks like a pure Green Sunfish and not a hybrid product of other sunfish species with a Green Sunfish parent.

Good catch. Green Sunfish is native to Ontario. They are not rare, but in much fewer number than other sunfish species...with the exception of maybe the Warmouth and Orangespotted Sunfish. They pop up here and there in southern Ontario but they are not really consistently found in any given spot, unless it is southwestern Ontario. Some streams in the area of Essex-Kent seem to have more Green Sunfish.

We have 6 recognized sunfish species in Ontario.

Pumpkinseed
Bluegill Sunfish
Warmouth
Orangespotted Sunfish
Green Sunfish
Northern Sunfish

There is the rare Redear Sunfish reported, but it is usually close to the US border or waters closely shared with the US border. They don't naturally occur in Ontario from what I can gather.

Thank you for the correction and explanation. When I initially saw it, I noticed that it was quite dark compared to the pumpkinseed I normally catch and appeared slightly different. I caught it in a small urban pond, which I thought might not even have fish in it. This was a nice surprise, Smile finding out I caught my first green sunfish!
Reference URL's