Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: 2014 Multi-Species Challenge Proposal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Since it doesn't appear like anyone has anything in the works I thought I'd put something together for the guys that would like to have one.

Same rules and all of last years (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...hallenge), I think we can set a start date around mid March so we can get stuff sorted out before that.

I was wondering if you guys wanted to ditch the badge for this year or continue with it?

Let me know what you think,
Giuga10
Hey Nick,

March 15th 2014 start date is great.

I'm good with or without the badge being required - but I do think we'd get more participation...... and definitely more entries if it wasn't necessary.

I'm in either way. You started the contest - you make the call.

Cheers,

OldTimer

EDIT: one thing needs be fixed - it is still impossible to upload picture attachments in this sub folder of this website.................
I am game as well.... I agree, let's skip the badge and work on the honour system....
Alright, I'll make a new official post including all the rules etc.. And this year we'll ditch the badge.

As for uploading picture attachments in this sub folder of this website, I think that's up to Mike, wish I could help.

So it's official guys! 2014 OSF Multi-Species Contest is a go!
Michael, I know for a fact you caught the Burbot in Quebec. It is an out-of-province catch and thus should be be allowed.

You can argue that some of Eli's catches are from Quebec too...but knowing that 1) he lives immediately across the border and 2) he's moving to Quebec in June where it will be his new home province, I'm allowing his entries for the two reasons.

As I stated previously, I like to encourage members from other provinces to participate too...as long as the fish were caught locally (ie, from their provincial waters). So I'm still consistent with what I've previously stated.

We need to maintain a level playing field, yet welcome members from other provinces to join in the fun.

Discuss.
(04-09-2014 10:11 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Michael, I know for a fact you caught the Burbot in Quebec. It is an out-of-province catch and thus should be be allowed.

You can argue that some of Eli's catches are from Quebec too...but knowing that 1) he lives immediately across the border and 2) he's moving to Quebec in June where it will be his new home province, I'm allowing his entries for the two reasons.

As I stated previously, I like to encourage members from other provinces to participate too...as long as the fish were caught locally (ie, from their provincial waters). So I'm still consistent with what I've previously stated.

We need to maintain a level playing field, yet welcome members from other provinces to join in the fun.

Discuss.

Huh?

(03-02-2014 10:58 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Michael or Nick,

Can you add these rule (last year's rule minus the badge) under the page for the 2014 OMC? I think it's important for members to click on the 2014 OMC link and immediately see the challenge rules, instead of searching for last year's conversations for the rules.

Rules:

- All fish species (native, introduced, invasive, micro) count.

- Fishing locations restricted to Ontario ONLY.

- Fish must be caught on hook and line only. NO snagging, bowfishing, or netting. All legal hook and line methods are welcomed.

- All fish must be caught legally within open season and within waters open for fishing of that particulate species (no fishing in sanctuaries, targeting fish outside of fishing season, or targeting fish that has year round closures).

- Out-or-season incidental catches cannot be entered, NO EXCEPTIONS! Incidental catches are defined as species that were unintentionally caught out of season (that is, if you were fishing for Rainbow Trout during open Trout season and you accidentally caught a Largemouth Bass when Bass season has not open, you cannot enter the Bass when it is caught out of season at your fishing location).

- A species entry can only be counted when photographs clearly show identifying characteristics. A blurry picture will disqualify the species entry.

I'm losing track of what's in and what's out.......... anyone else?

My position remains unchanged: i.e

(03-02-2014 07:56 AM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]IMHO - the challenge should stay within the confines of Ontario... or be restricted to only those species present in Ontario using the most stringent of all the regulations, restrictions, methods and seasons of the province of Ontario.

Level field in all aspects.

Cheers,

OldTimer

Please clarify as statements made conflict.

Is out of province in or out?

Does someone in BC , or the Maritimes, or any extreme northern Canadian province or Territory get to use associated local salt water species then?

Please advise.

Yours.

A Confused OT
This has been my position from the get-go.

(03-01-2014 11:56 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]When Michael and I envisioned this challenge last year, the Ontario clause was included to achieve three objectives...

1) Make the playing field fair for participants by restricting it to "local" opportunities (ie, local being Ontario since majority of members here are from Ontario)

...and most importantly

2) To encourage members to explore new local (Ontario) fishing opportunities for new species

3) To encourage members to enjoy under-utilized fisheries

BUT...if a member from Alberta wish to participate, we can amend the rule (or make exception, whichever one is more reasonable) to allow members from other provinces (or even states) to enter species from their local locations. It would be required from the member to state their home province or state at the start of the challenge.

The rules you posted are based on the 2013 contest, and we have discussed whether we should amend or change the rules to welcome more participants.

Yes, if we have members from other provinces or state wishing to join us, why not?

The fact is this...depending on your resident location, you may be in a position of species abundance or species poor. For example, someone living in Moose Factory may well be species poor, yet, they may have additional advantage over us on species such as Lake Sturgeon and even Arctic Char which they may enter. However, they are at a disadvantage when it comes to southern species such as Longnose Gar or Bluegill Sunfish. It is never a completely fair playing field because of the geographical differences.

An Alberta member who wish to join may be able to enter Bull Trout and Cutthroat Trout. But this member would not be able to enter White Bass and Chinook Salmon. There will always be something that someone cannot catch without traveling.

Heck, Toronto members would not be able to enter Lake Sturgeon unless they travel to fish in Timmis...

However, we do want to make sure people don't travel huge distances to catch species that are completely out of reach of other competing members. If the member's home range (such as Eli's and ZippyFX for sample, who live in Ottawa across from Quebec) allows them to fish just minutes drive away from Quebec, then why can they not enter these catches?

The difference in Michael's catch is that it is 6 hours drive away from his home. That's why I state if members were to fish out of province, they must also state their home location such that we make it a bit more fair for all.
(04-09-2014 03:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]This has been my position from the get-go.

The rules you posted are based on the 2013 contest, and we have discussed whether we should amend or change the rules to welcome more participants.

Yes, if we have members from other provinces or state wishing to join us, why not?

(03-01-2014 11:56 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]When Michael and I envisioned this challenge last year, the Ontario clause was included to achieve three objectives...

1) Make the playing field fair for participants by restricting it to "local" opportunities (ie, local being Ontario since majority of members here are from Ontario)

...and most importantly

2) To encourage members to explore new local (Ontario) fishing opportunities for new species

3) To encourage members to enjoy under-utilized fisheries

BUT...if a member from Alberta wish to participate, we can amend the rule (or make exception, whichever one is more reasonable) to allow members from other provinces (or even states) to enter species from their local locations. It would be required from the member to state their home province or state at the start of the challenge.

Isnt March 2nd later than March 1?

MY "back" EDIT - BTW - back editing your comments after I respond is not so cool. The above quote represents your original complete post.
Personally, I don't even see the rules posted for the 2014 OMC...so we can argue away all we like since there were no official rules.

I asked to have the rules considered and posted but no action had been taken yet. In fact, no decision and deliberation had been made yet. What you and I are quoting are all personal opinions...and we all know how the saying goes...they all stink...

So...let's start pointing some fingers Tongue

Like I said, my position is still the same...I'm trying to make it inclusive for all members.

So contest mods...pick up the slack, make the decision and let's not make too many people grumpy. Unfortunately, I'm no longer a contest mod this year so I can't be making the decisions...otherwise I would have made it and posted the rules up already.
(04-09-2014 04:04 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I don't even see the rules posted for the 2014 OMC...so we can argue away all we like since there were no official rules.

I asked to have the rules considered and posted but no action had been taken yet. In fact, no decision and deliberation had been made yet. What you and I are quoting are all personal opinions...and we all know how the saying goes...it all stink...

So...let's start pointing some fingers Tongue

Like I said, my position is still the same...and at the same time, I'm trying to make it inclusive for all members.

end of & original response is above.

Your show.

OT
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's