Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Smallest fly you've ever tied
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With less time these days, I only tie out of necessity. Well, there was a need to tie a nano fly since the pesky Stickleback would attack my ultra small splitshot but only peck gently at the tiny flake of nightcrawler I had on the end of the tanago hook.

Hopefully this gives them a target to hit. I think I'll still tip the hook point with a flake of nightcrawler to mask the smell of head cement.

[Image: IMG_1631_post.jpg]

I think I'm ready to tie #32 dries. Anyone knows where I can get Tiemco #32? I search online and they seemed to be sold out everywhere. Sad

Going to try this fly today...Wish me luck. :lol:

What's the smallest fly you've ever tied?
32 is WOW small. Hope you have a good magnifying glass on a goose neck and lottsa light at your bench set up.

Crazy glue might be a better head cement than lacquer.

What size (#test) tippet will you use (will fit)?

I think maybe 20 is the smallest I ever took a run at............. if that........ maybe 18 .............I never had much of a need for anything so micro small.
Saw this fly in person today... Ken is a machine.
Hey OT,

These hooks don't have a hook eye. Instead, there is a wider and flattened "head". It serves as a stopper nub when you tie a snell knot on the hook shank.

Currently, I'm using 2lb fly tippet...but have been considering 1lb tippet for extra sensitivity and suppleness.
Is it difficult getting the snell knot positioned so the tippet lead exits the fly body at 12:00....... or does it spin somewhat freely?
It doesn't spin since the head of the hook is flattened (it looks a little like a small flat square), which prevents the line from spinning around freely.
A fly that small, plus quarry that small must dictate total sight based fishing and hook setting - as I would think there would be no discernible "strike".................?
With the tanago rod, you could feel a bite if they tug harder. But it is mostly sight fishing.
This is just too crazy. Ken you could probably enter some kind of micro fly tying competition if one ever existed Tongue.
Reference URL's