Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Micro Fishing Gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There has been some interesting discussion on micro-fishing as of late and I was wondering what would be good gear to get and where one can get it? Specifically rodds, strike indicators, hooks.

It would be nice to try to mix things up every now and again.
Any ultralight rod would do...but I do truly enjoy the tenkara rods. Most of them are quite expensive for casual micro fishing...and the Shakespear Crappie Poles are too big and heavy.

However, recently, Chris Stewart has this rod to offer. For $32, it looks and sounds like a really good micro rod.

http://www.tenkarabum.com/shimotsuke-kosasa.html

I'm actually considering getting one.

I don't use floats. I like a tight line so I can feel the lightest bite...and also be able to set the hook immediately. What I've started to do is to add a small bead about 1" from the hook so I can determine the location of the hook much easier. Most of my micro fishing is done by sight fishing. I want to be able to see my hook and see the micro suck in the bait. This is especially important with darters.

For hooks, I've used tanago hooks...but I find the hook up ratio and also landing ratio is rather poor. Maybe I just lack technique. I find small fly hooks...size #18 and smaller are good.

You also need some light tippet...1-2lb tippet is good.
Cool! Had no idea it would be so straight forward. I'll be picking up some tippet and fly hooks soon!
Make sure to get smaller ones if you are after darters and tiny minnows. Size #18 is too big...but #22 may be OK. If you can find #28 (likely only at a fly shop), all the better.

For most minnows, #22-18 is OK. For ravenous species like Creek Chubs and Common Shiners, you may even need a bit bigger.
So I picked up some small flies and hooks and I hope to try them out next week... A couple more questions:

- The guy who sold me the small hooks told me there is a tube of bait that can be applied to the hooks... I was just wondering if some catfish bait tube bait I have hanging around would work?
- I have heard you guys talk about worm flecks before... Do you just snip a tiny piece of worm?
- The guy also told me about a problem extracting hooks; Apparently regular tweezers and forceps are way to big.
I've never used any sort of tube bait, so I don't know.

Yeah, a fleck of worm is just a very small piece. Easiest if you have scissors...but mostly I use my finger nails.

I don't have much issues extracting hooks, but I do have smaller forceps that I used for flyfishing. You do need to match hook size to the fish you are after. If you start catching bigger minnows like Creek Chub and Common Shiner on the really small hooks, move and fish a different area. Those fish generally beat other fish to the bait and crowd out other species anyways.
Had some fun this afternoon. I caught some juveniles but technically no micros.

Looks like a juvenile Bluegill:
[Image: zlWilYR.jpg]

This one looks like a juvenile Pumpkinseed:
[Image: xFh6tro.jpg]

I used some shad flavoured tube bait that I got on Kiji for catfish that seemed to increase the strikes.

I used a small fly but and getting hits but the minnows were not taking the hooks I have some smaller flys and hooks I'll be trying later this week.
Reference URL's