Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: HELP.....Exotic species ID
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I was fishing at Grenadier pond when I caught this....

[attachment=883]

LOL...only kidding!

I caught this night fishing on my travels and have no idea WTF it is. Any ID help appreciated, I tried googling it by description and the closest I got was smooth flutemouth, but that cant be correct, wrong Ocean. smooth flutemouth is southern Pacific and I'm in the Caribbean.

Its just over 3 ft in length and put on a great show, jumping and spinning. IT did actually manage to dislodge the hook, but tangled itself in the steel leader doing a string of barrel rolls on the surface.

Any ID help appreciated!
Bluespotted Cornetfish (Fistularia commersonii)

They can be pretty aggressive taking lures. I caught mine on the fly in Hawaii. They will readily take plastic grubs or even smaller crankbaits.

You know, it would be so much easier if you had simply packed me in your suitcase and taken me along. You can just tell customs I'm your fish encyclopedia. Tongue

Hope you have lots of pics to show when you come home! Love to see what else you caught there Smile Please report any really cool catches!
(07-15-2014 06:59 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Bluespotted Cornetfish (Fistularia commersonii)

They can be pretty aggressive taking lures. I caught mine on the fly in Hawaii. They will readily take plastic grubs or even smaller crankbaits.

You know, it would be so much easier if you had simply packed me in your suitcase and taken me along. You can just tell customs I'm your fish encyclopedia. Tongue

Hope you have lots of pics to show when you come home! Love to see what else you caught there Smile Please report any really cool catches!

Cheers!

Would have had a cool pic of a huge spiny crab I pulled up out of a hole down into a water cave, but I was too busy shout F**K! and running away when it got off the line and went totally psycho. Big Grin

In the dark and flashlight beams it looked like something out of John Carpenters The Thing!
Put some of your cream on it.
Reference URL's