Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Avoiding snags while bottom fishing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Almost every time I attempt to bottom fish with a weight between 5/8 - 1 oz. I get snagged on the bottom. I was wondering how you guys avoid this?
I would LOVE to know. I could snag a Jitterbug in a bathtub. Lost four tube jigs in one day on a certain lake, a friend told me it was impossible because the bottom was all sand. But I did it. Huh
(08-03-2014 02:38 PM)Dave Bailey Wrote: [ -> ]I would LOVE to know. I could snag a Jitterbug in a bathtub. Lost four tube jigs in one day on a certain lake, a friend told me it was impossible because the bottom was all sand. But I did it. Huh

lol, I'm wondering how people fish for carp since it's mainly bottom fishing with a heavy weight.
Start using 20lb braid if yor not already doing so. I use 50 lb on heavy weights for cstfish in rocky areas.

I all so find tiring direct to the lure helps as you usually get a better angle and less chance of swivel/snap break.
(08-03-2014 04:01 PM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]Start using 20lb braid if yor not already doing so.

I use 20lb Powerpro. It just means that it takes more effort to break the line. Angry
(08-03-2014 06:51 PM)Dave Bailey Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2014 04:01 PM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]Start using 20lb braid if yor not already doing so.

I use 20lb Powerpro. It just means that it takes more effort to break the line. Angry

That's what I was thinking, I use 12lb mono and it is quite tough to break the line when I get a snag, I can't imagine another 8lbs of strength.
(08-03-2014 06:51 PM)Dave Bailey Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you use proper desnagging techniques?

Tighten the drag to max line up the rod with the snag so it is pointing directly to it and pull straight back.

This will generally straighten the hook or actually pull in the obstruction.

Or snap your line if you are on a rock or an immovable obstruction.
(08-04-2014 02:17 AM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]Tighten the drag to max line up the rod with the snag so it is pointing directly to it and pull straight back.

This will generally straighten the hook or actually pull in the obstruction.

Or snap your line if you are on a rock or an immovable obstruction.

Yep, that's what I do. The trouble is that I'm snagging constantly. You see underwater videos of someone dragging a crankbait through sunken brush, with the lip bouncing off logs, and you think that it can be done easily. Yeah, right. I'll bet they did dozens of takes before getting one that didn't hang up permanently, because in that situation it's almost impossible to not get snagged.
Snags are common when bottom fishing for Carp. Try to locate rocky areas and avoid them.

I've never gotten snagged while using a hair rig, might be because there is no direct weight or force on the hook itself so it's less likely to jam into a rock etc..

If you don't already use a hair rig give it a shot, it might help.

Also try a bolt rig, that's the weighting system I use for carp fishing and it works amazing, and it sets the hook for you, I lose a lot less Carp with this rig.
Hey,

Complete avoidance is not possible. (unless you stay home....smile).

When "bottom fishing":

As already mentioned - On waters you frequent - learning where the snags are is a smart move.......... then work around the hazards.

On unknown waters - I really don't have a magic method of avoidance - but I do try to cut my hardware and time losses during the learning process.

It not too tough to realize that blindly dragging a real heavy weight with hooks on it - along the bottom - will lead to the sinker or terminal end getting jammed on, in, or under a unmovable object.

Always use the lightest weight necessary to achieve the drift or "hold" you want. Gross overkill = instant hang-up.

Bell sinkers jam worse than eggs which jam worse than walking......

Use of three way swivels with low strength dropper lines (or snoods, or loop lines) to attach heavy sinkers will lower rig losses.

Use of multiple small split shot rather than one wow size one helps too......

Cheers,

OldTimer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's