Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Roadtrip anyone?????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/unusua...elle-river

Who'd like to add one of these to their multi-species contest tally?
Interesting.

So is the story regarding the $670 worth of fines re using Gobies for bait and extra lines.
Huh, I actually didn't know it was illegal to use dead round gobies as bait. Of course you can't use them alive, and there's a listing of approved live baitfish species, but with dead bait it's the few prohibited species you'll find listed in the regs summary, and I don't think they mention round gobies there.
(08-11-2014 04:22 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote: [ -> ]Huh, I actually didn't know it was illegal to use dead round gobies as bait. Of course you can't use them alive, and there's a listing of approved live baitfish species, but with dead bait it's the few prohibited species you'll find listed in the regs summary, and I don't think they mention round gobies there.

It's illegal to posses them live or dead
Wait, so if you catch a perch-sized one you can't even take it home to eat? I don't see anything about this on the Invasive Species Awareness website, or anywhere I can find on the MNR fishing website or in the regs. The regs do say that it is illegal to "possess any of the following live invasive species" including round goby, but that's not followed up with anything about dead ones.
(08-11-2014 08:38 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, so if you catch a perch-sized one you can't even take it home to eat? I don't see anything about this on the Invasive Species Awareness website, or anywhere I can find on the MNR fishing website or in the regs. The regs do say that it is illegal to "possess any of the following live invasive species" including round goby, but that's not followed up with anything about dead ones.

Why would anyone willingly eat them? They are gross and carry harmful bacteria that can remain in the meat even after being cooked. I recall one of the members on this forum linking a post to it.
I guess I missed that one, is it possible to find the link? When I google all I find is this (totally unscientific) article suggesting they're harmless. http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/artic.../912289998
(08-11-2014 11:15 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote: [ -> ]I guess I missed that one, is it possible to find the link? When I google all I find is this (totally unscientific) article suggesting they're harmless. http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/artic.../912289998

I found this which mentions a little about Gobies causing health risks but it is not the article I was thinking of, hopefully one of the members has the link

http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/flora-fa.../goby.html
(08-11-2014 08:38 PM)tweedwolfscream Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, so if you catch a perch-sized one you can't even take it home to eat? I don't see anything about this on the Invasive Species Awareness website, or anywhere I can find on the MNR fishing website or in the regs. The regs do say that it is illegal to "possess any of the following live invasive species" including round goby, but that's not followed up with anything about dead ones.

Perhaps it's worth a call in to the ministry office for clarification. We need some clarification on this issue, and the one of fishing on different water bodies with different possession limits.
Round Goby prey on Zebra Mussels, which is a filter feeder. Zebra Mussels are known to filter bacteria in the Clostridium family, including Clostridium botulinum, C. butyricum, C. baratii and C. argentinense, which produced the botulinum toxin. This toxin can (and do) bioaccumulate in Round Goby, and predators (such as Freshwater Drum, Loons, even Lake Sturgeon) that prey on Round Goby is susceptible to botulism poisoning.

http://www.annarbor.com/passions-pursuit...sturbance/

* Note that in the cases of these predators, the Round Goby was consumed raw (live or dead).

Botulinum toxin is the most potent toxin known to man. For such a toxic agent, the bacteria Clostridium botulinum is very wide spread, growing on common surfaces such as floors and soil. However, the bacteria requires an anaerobic environment to grow, and the ingestion of bacteria or spores usually poses little harm to adults (babies under 12 month is susceptible). Improperly handled or treated foods can carry botulinum toxin, such as meats and canned goods.

Since this toxin is a protein, it is easily degraded by heat at 80C or above. Thus, properly cooking meat can prevent botulism.

Round Goby can contain botulinum toxin, but if they are cooked properly, you should not have to worry about contracting botulism.

HOWEVER, let's not forget the other things that Zebra Mussel can bioaccumulate...such as heavy metals and other long lasting chemicals such as DDT and PCBs.

But then again, people eat Smallmouth Bass and Lake Whitefish...which also prey on Round Goby and these predators bioaccumulate harmful substances also...especially in waters such as Lake Erie and Lake Simcoe. Personally, I just fish for fun and only enjoy the occasional meal of catch fish...maybe a handful of fish retained a year. If you want to keep all the Round Goby you catch for food, that's a life choice you make and a health risk you take.

Oh, and going back to the original topic...

No...these pacu won't survive the winter...it's not worth targeting them when these fish are just occasional aquarium releases...unless...they have somehow found a warm water discharge (power generating stations) as a winter refuge and become established there.

In the meantime, I'll just keep my eye out for them in Florida where they are actually able to survive and reproduce.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's