Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: The year of learning.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My name is Tim. I live in Toronto. I'm 40, father of 3 young boys. My dad, an East Coaster, always took me fishing, but I rejected it a bit as a teen (what else is new?) BUT 4 months ago I was on a road trip to Timmins... And I got that weird feeling, that I'd like to go fishing. Anyway, I got the fishing bug pretty bad, I'd say. Now my wife thinks I'm nuts when I'm out digging for worms... And I have fished all over Toronto, Simcoe/cooks Bay, Skugog, Saugeen River... Next stop: Dalhousie Port. I heard great stuff. Now, with all the fishing I've been up to, you'd think I'd be pretty good by now... But no! In the last 3 months I caught fish (small perch, sunfish and a gobby?) But it's all dropped off. And my wife thinks I've lost my mind cause I keep going out at various hours... Various spots. Only to return empty handed. Accept for 2 weeks ago, beginning of November, my buddy (crazy like me) went to Tommy Thompson Park, caught a Pike! That was awesome! Anyway... I love being out there in any kind of weather, taking it all in! I have read more articles on line about fishing and watched more videos on this topic more than hockey and that says a lot. So I'm heading to Dalhousie in search of Trout (or anything that will bite!!??). I've got my gear ready and next year a small boat... Besides that, I like to write... Can't you tell?! Any help or advice of fishing, join my buddy and me, have a spot I should try? Let me know. One day all my training will pay off and I will be an avid fisherman!
Hey Tim,

Welcome to OSF.

Don't look now - but I'd say that you are an avid fisherman ............ what you seek is just a bit more success. - it will come.

Other than roe bags.................Try small heavy chrome spoons at "Dalhousie Port" - has worked for me.

Cheers buddy,

OldTimer
(11-17-2014 03:19 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Tim,

Welcome to OSF.

Don't look now - but I'd say that you are an avid fisherman ............ what you seek is just a bit more success. - it will come.

Other than roe bags.................Try small heavy chrome spoons at "Dalhousie Port" - has worked for me.

Cheers buddy,

OldTimer

Many thanks for the welcome! And for your tip on fishing Dalhouise.

Know much about glow lures and gels? Or Glo Mallows and doughs? I'm aiming for 1630 this Thursday, windy I know, and getting dark quick, that's why I though something they can see and smell?

Read about fishing in the wind too... Not afraid of that.

I just being out in nature this way. It's good for me, for my sanity.

I'm only 40 but I feel this has opened me up to wanting to be here for a long time. If not I hope there is fishing in heaven!

I want to raise my boys into this...

Tim.
Glad to see your enthusiasm! I've only been fishing a couple of years but I know how you feel.

Good luck on your trip out tonight.

My words of advice is that it usually takes me 2 or 3 times out to figure out a spot and then again it may change during the course of a season.

Don't hesitate to try different approaches and fish the entire water column.
(11-17-2014 10:06 PM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to see your enthusiasm! I've only been fishing a couple of years but I know how you feel.

Good luck on your trip out tonight.

My words of advice is that it usually takes me 2 or 3 times out to figure out a spot and then again it may change during the course of a season.

Don't hesitate to try different approaches and fish the entire water column.

Thanks for the advice. I looks like in Dalhousie, there are many little spots within a spot. Trout here, largemouth there? Pike... Etc. Makes sense visiting the same spot a few times until you get a real hang of it...

I've had many different hobbies but these seems like one to remain throughout a life time. It's not bad for you that's for sure.

Good luck to you.
Contact me anytime...

Tim
I've fished many spots for many years and still don't get the real hang of all of them. Fish will surprise you just when you think you have it figured out.

It is a lifelong learning process.
Thanks for contacting me. Muskie EH? I've read that (hopefully in a year it will be "I've done this" or "this was my experience...") Muskie like windy days? They are hunters, so we are "hunting" the hunted? It's true they say that the big fish eat the little ones... And plenty more phrases. BUT REALLY; I heard that Muskie enjoy windy days that make them active and comer fish more easily? I've been using larger lures and baits to attract bigger fish. (Who wants fries when you can eat a steak?) Anyway, it's predicted at Port Dalhousie, to be windy 45km/W Thursday and 30km Friday. Those are my only free evenings to fish this week, so I'm going anyway: searching for Trout, mostly. But I'd be glad for anything really. Any Muskie there? Pike? Tim.
Reference URL's