Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Vacuum Sealing bait
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I was given a Foodsaver vacuum sealer this Xmas.

Other than the obvious uses with our “food”, I look forward to trying out this preservation method on cut-bait and minnows – to see if it provides a higher quality fishing bait after months in the freezer.

Has anyone out there tried this and have any helpful advice on methods and best procedures?

Cheers,

OldTimer
Have not try it...but friends of mine use it to package and freeze mackerel for bait and they like it.

Advice...

Keep fish whole rather than pre-cut. They will last even longer and thaw in better shape.

Don't over pack the bags. You need a good margin for a proper vacuum and a proper sealing.

Portion out what you think is a reasonable amount of bait for a day of fishing and package them in separate bags. Freeze-thaw cycles degrade bait quality and freshness.

Other than that...it's fairly basic.
(01-05-2015 05:05 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Have not try it...but friends of mine use it to package and freeze mackerel for bait and they like it.

Advice...

Keep fish whole rather than pre-cut. They will last even longer and thaw in better shape.

Don't over pack the bags. You need a good margin for a proper vacuum and a proper sealing.

Portion out what you think is a reasonable amount of bait for a day of fishing and package them in separate bags. Freeze-thaw cycles degrade bait quality and freshness.

Other than that...it's fairly basic.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll post some reports on how I make out on this thread later this year.

OT
Vacuum sealers work great for whole minnows or cut sucker/redhorse baits to be used for cats.

Used it last year and it worked out perfectly. No freezer burn at all.

Wished I had caught and frozen more as I ran out too early.

Tip - Make the packs up in outing size so not to waste.

P
Reference URL's