Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: POM palm hand line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
“Pom Palm Line” for fishing……..

My lady says I have too much time on my hands……… maybe so – but I do have fun perfecting the doing of nothing.

Today’s non-effort:

Seems to me that POM juice bottles are perfectly shaped for making a hand line. The nicely rounded hour glass shape holds the line nice and plays it off not too bad. Plus they are well built.

I put about 40 yards of 17# on this medium size POM bottle with a slip sinker/swivel/hook set up.

[attachment=929]

To cast you hold the neck of the bottle in your palm and place your index finger on the line. Do a sweeping underarm or side arm flip ………and release the line as you point at the target area.

Tested it a few times – I think with practice I could do at least 30 yards on a flip……….. cool…. Something to add to the fun list come spring. Should be a mind blowing blast with a wow size carp or cat on the other end.

BTW – this was a medium size (473ml) POM bottle – they in come many sizes .........from Ultra light to Magnum Salt too…………. Grin..

Cheers,

OldTimer
They also make DIY marker buoy Wink You can use heavy dacron instead of mono for the marker buoy.
Crap. I'll have to try that this spring when perch fishing with my daughter. Don't forget to get out there for the perch festival. I remember not wanting to bring a fishing rod and fish off the spool only.
(01-05-2015 05:07 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]They also make DIY marker buoy Wink You can use heavy dacron instead of mono for the marker buoy.

Good idea.......... particularly if ya spray bomb them in a neon yellow colour first.
(01-06-2015 04:58 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2015 05:07 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]They also make DIY marker buoy Wink You can use heavy dacron instead of mono for the marker buoy.

Good idea.......... particularly if ya spray bomb them in a neon yellow colour first.

Yep. It's kinda hard to see a clear marking buoy. Big Grin

White, Neon Yellow or Neon Orange are all good colours.

Instead of spraying it, consider putting the paint inside the bottle, shake it up and let the paint coats the inside of the bottle. You will get much better durability since the paint is protected by the plastic. If you paint them outside, the paint could peel easier. If you really want the paint to stick on the outside, sand paper it first, then prime, then paint...just like anything else.

I wouldn't suggest placing these marker buoy if you are not fishing close to one. They are much smaller than commercial marker buoy and sit lower in the water. You don't want a boat to run one over it and have the dacron tangle someone's prop. Use it only when it is in clear sight to you, so you can inform boaters should the boaters run too close to the buoy.
Speaking of inside - with regard to the hand line set up - the bottle with it's screw top can act as a tackle box to hold a few extra hooks and sinkers too.......... floats too..
Reference URL's