Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fascinating fish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was googling "sunfish" and found....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_sunfish

[Image: 735px-Sunfish2.jpg]

So amazing!

Also reminds me of the oarfish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish

[Image: oarfish-oarfishdockhor_03.jpg]

What truly epic creatures.
People in San Diego has actually caught them fairly with squid. Ocean Sunfish feed on jellyfish as their main diet, but occasionally will chew on squid as well. There are 4 related species - Ocean Sunfish, Southern Sunfish, Slender Sunfish and Sharptail Sunfish. They are actually placed under the Tetraodontiformes order (pufferfish and filefish). They are one of the coolest fish on Earth (to me at least).

The one in the picture looks to have some parasitic growth on its face...and maybe some fin damages as well...poor thing...

An oarfish (the one in the picture is actually called King of Herring officially...an oarfish species) would be an epic catch as well! They live in deep water and only surface when they are dying (or dead). Fishing for them is more like finding a needle in a haystack...but I can only imagine what an epic fight that long serpentine body can give in deep water.
San Diego? Fascinating! They must wander into the bay? Or off the coast?

My DREAM:
[Image: sunfish_12.jpg]
I dont know what i would do if i seen that thing at the end of my line!LOL
I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to put both on my Life List. Big Grin

If either one is ever on the end of my line, my knees would be buckling because the adrenline would be running sky high! I would be sooooo very scared to losing it I probably can't fight them properly Big Grin
(06-23-2012 10:32 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to put both on my Life List. Big Grin

If either one is ever on the end of my line, my knees would be buckling because the adrenline would be running sky high! I would be sooooo very scared to losing it I probably can't fight them properly Big Grin

Hands down, one of those moments of a lifetime. Needle in a haystack odds. Big Grin
Reference URL's