Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fossil Fish"s fossil fish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I figured it was time to show you my collection of fish/shark fossils. My shark collection was my first interest when I started collecting and I'd put it up against anyone else's in the country as far as variety. If there are any pieces anyone wants to see a close up of, just ask. Enjoy!!!
1) Larger teeth. The Carcharocles megalodon in the center is about 5.5" measured on the slant (the largest teeth of this species measure a bit over 7" and cost as much as a nice car)[attachment=1356]
2) The genus keeps changing and these are now referred to as Carcharodon hastalis. These sharks with unserrated teeth evolved into the modern great white. The large one in the upper left is about 3 5/16" -huge for the species.[attachment=1357]
3) Serrated mako teeth from the Netherlands. These are not the ones that evolved into great whites, but a separate lineage.[attachment=1358]
4) A few shark vertebrae, about the only things besides teeth that can be found fossilized and some bones with bite marks[attachment=1359]
More bitten bones, a couple of teeth in matrix and a couple of stingray denticles[attachment=1360]
A few cases of smallish teeth[attachment=1361][attachment=1362][attachment=1363]
A case of Paleozoic teeth[attachment=1364]
They aren't all big. I have several species that aren't real photogenic[attachment=1365]
And now, the fish
1) Knightia eocaeana, a herring from the Eocene Green River formation in Wyoming. This is the most common species and the most prolific site in the world for excellently preserved fossil fish. Rare species can be found here and include gars, paddlefish, rays, bowfin, mooneye, catfish and suckers.[attachment=1366]
2)Amphiplaga brachyptera, a trout-perch also from Wyoming[attachment=1367]
3) Gosiutichthys parvus again from Wyoming, same formation as the others but a different site.[attachment=1368]
4) Lycoptera davidi from the Jurassic of Liaoning, China[attachment=1369]
5) Jianghanichthys hubeiensis from the Eocene of Hubei Province, China[attachment=1370]
More fish stuff
Rhadinichthys alberti from the Carboniferous period, Hillsborough, New Brunswick[attachment=1371]
And my only personal fish finds (so far). A placoderm tooth and a small piece of fish "armour", both from the Devonian at Arkona, Ontario. I also have a spine from the same place, but it needs a little TLC to glue it back together. Microscopic shark teeth can be found here, as well as fish bone and much larger pieces of armour, but I haven't been that lucky yet.[attachment=1372]
Very cool, FF! Text me when you are going fossil hunting. I'll try to come if I'm free. Smile And we still need to find that Mudminnow when the weather warms up!
Wow - now that's a very impressive and interesting collection.

It must have taken decades to assemble.

Good stuff! - Thanks for sharing.

Only fossil kicking around my place is me..............smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer
That is an very interesting collection. What was the first piece that started the collection?
The black megalodon in the center started the ball rolling about 14 years ago. It was a show about them during Discovery Channels "Shark Week" that rekindled an interest I had as a youth.
Awesome collection!
The newest addition, Gasterosteus doryssus (Sticklebacks) from the Pliocene on Nevada[attachment=1376]
Purchase or find? Cool either way Smile
(04-11-2017 01:54 PM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]Purchase or find? Cool either way Smile
Find.....on Ebay. There are 2 more fish on the slab as well
Awesome collection! Do you display it all in your home?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's