Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: spinning and baitcasting reels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are your guys using and would recommend to try in the mid price range?
Thank You Alvin123
(05-16-2017 11:48 PM)Alvin123 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your guys using and would recommend to try in the mid price range?
Thank You Alvin123

Hello again Al,

I'll guess that by "mid price" you mean fresh water and about a rig worth $100- $150 or so bucks that you can use for most fishing here in Ontario.

This is the price range that generates a frustrated aw-shi$ if damaged or lost, but is not the end of the world. They work just fine
and can catch/handle most fish you’ll see in Ontario quite well.

Below this range we have the "gee - it actually works and hasn't fallen apart yet"

Below that we have the "looks like a fishing outfit" usually from Fisher Price or such with a free plastic smiling yellow fish attached.

Above mid-range we have:

- at $175 to $275 - one that generates a painful "ouch" feeling and deep seated sadness or anger at one's self if broken or lost.

..above that we have the elite class $275 to "you gotta be friggin kidding $"......... These outfits are gems and works of both art and overkill technology that some use to impress others (except their spouses - who will never ever get to see the receipts).............. but at the end of the day they don't impress the fish much more.

whoops……………I get off topic…………………

So more on point:

I will discuss Spinning rigs (not just reels) only. Bait casters really do suck for fresh water shore fishing.

I have and still do recommend Ugly Stiks for good solid medium priced rods. I prefer those with a cork handle (more comfortable and warmer). I think they call them the elite series now. Get a rod compatible with your height - it makes landing at your feet simpler (if you are about 6’ or more tall get a 6-6” or 7’-0”…… if you are shorter get a 6’0” or 6-6” ). In fact these are on sale at CTC presently for ~$52.

For a reel to match I’d suggest a Mitchell 300. Solid reel that comes with 2 metal spools which is very handy (set one up with 8# mono, and the other with 12#).

Also good and a bit more $ is the Pflueger Arbor – it aids in distance.

I own & use both these reels a lot, mounted on Ugly Stiks. Work just fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Welcome to the forum. I have a 7ft medium Pflueger Trion combo and have zero complaints. It has worked fine for everything from panfish and perch to carp and pike. I like it enough that this spring, I bought a light action combo as well, but haven't had much of a chance to use it yet.
My all around spinning set up is a 2piece 6'6" Uglystik Elite medium action rod and I've got a Shimano Nexave 2500 reel. Both of these I picked up at Canadian Tire on sale. The rod was $55 and the reel was $45.

I really like this set up bc the rod is durable and portable and the reel and its drag are smooth.

For the most part I have 8lb mono on the reel but this year I've decided to try braid so currently I have 20lb spider wire spooled up.

As for Baitcasting I recently purchased a Shimano Caenan 151 reel and I have it paired with a Quantum Accurist Med Heavy 2 piece rod. Keep in mind that This is my first baitcaster and I just took it on its first trip and it worked very well. Only 1 birds nest the entire trip! I have it spoiled up with 15 lb Berkley Trans optic Mono. The rod and reel I picked up at the spring fishing show. The reel was $130(I think) and the Rod was $45. Both were show specials so there was no tax!

So far the set up has been good for the same reasons above (durable portable and smooth). But again, keep in mind I have only used this set up on one cottage / fishing trip.

My current general purpose favorite is my 7 ft UL Avocet combo which I got on Kijiji for about $20. It's neat cause its a pretty fast UL.
My fall back favorite is an old Ugly Stik with an Abu Cardinal using 8 pound test raven mono.
(05-29-2017 12:17 AM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote: [ -> ]My all around spinning set up is a 2piece 6'6" Uglystik Elite medium action rod and I've got a Shimano Nexave 2500 reel. Both of these I picked up at Canadian Tire on sale. The rod was $55 and the reel was $45.

did this handle any carp?
(08-20-2018 02:05 AM)spiderman6 Wrote: [ -> ]did this handle any carp?
I doubt such setup is intended for carp. I am not assuming this is impossible just really hard on a fish that is not line shy to begin with. I am using 20 pound test braid for carping.
Since we are on the topic of favorite setups I am using 7' old Fenwick medium heavy fast action rod (by old i mean 15+ years) and China branded 35$ spinning reel from Aliexpress that surpasses many if not all reels in this price range sold in Canada. This is my "grab without thinking and go" combo.
is it a good reel? https://www.sail.ca/en/pflueger-presiden...y0QAvD_BwE
what is the difference between 35x vs. 30x vs 40x?
(12-21-2018 12:08 AM)spiderman6 Wrote: [ -> ]is it a good reel? https://www.sail.ca/en/pflueger-presiden...y0QAvD_BwE
what is the difference between 35x vs. 30x vs 40x?
The President is a very good reel for the price, and will likely be the next one I buy when the time comes. I currently have 2 of the lower priced Pflueger Trions and love them. The President can only be better. The different numbers are the reel size and the line capacity it can hold.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's