Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: How to Choose a Rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Great Video for how to choose the right fishing rod! Smile

The guy is talking about 2 rods to cover most scenarios.
What would be your pick for one and only rod?
My choice is 7' medium fast graphite. Works well for carp, perch, salmon, bows.
Or maybe i just do not know better Smile
If you're looking for 1 rod to do all your fishing...
Try Okuma Celilo ML(medium-light) Moderate...salmon/steelhead spinning rod.
It's a versatile rod that you can use on smaller game (perch/crappie/bass) and can handle the bigger games (pike/muskie/carp)
and at $59 you can't fine something better.
(11-06-2017 02:45 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking for 1 rod to do all your fishing...
Try Okuma Celilo ML(medium-light) Moderate...salmon/steelhead spinning rod.
It's a versatile rod that you can use on smaller game (perch/crappie/bass) and can handle the bigger games (pike/muskie/carp)
and at $59 you can't fine something better.

Thanks
rich_ace_G it does look sweet
hmmmm.... a ML rod for Muskie? An extended fight is unusually bad for Muskie especially in warm weather. ... a 20 lb fish from shore in an ML rod can be tricky... What pound test would you use for the line? Would you have multiple reels spooled for different line strengths and line requirements (4-6 pound for trout, 20 lb for for muskie for example)?

Don't get me wrong... Love catching large carp on lighter rods but I firmly believe in tackling appropriately for certain fish.
Trying to cast larger muskie lures on a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

Trying to pull a medium carp away from a log jam with a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

One rod is often limiting. I would recommend a minimum of two rods. A moderate fast ML as suggested for smaller fish or larger fish that you can reel in quick in tight quarters, and a fast MH rod for larger fish where you need to cast larger lures or fish a larger fish in bigger water where they have ample space to run, or get you into snags.
(11-14-2017 08:42 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to cast larger muskie lures on a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

Trying to pull a medium car away from a log jam with a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

One rod is often limiting. I would recommend a minimum of two rods. A moderate fast ML as suggested for smaller fish or larger fish that you can reel in quick in tight quarters, and a fast MH rod for larger fish where you need to cast larger lures or fish a larger fish in bigger water where they have ample space to run, or get you into snags.

I think an extra heavy rod would have a hard time pulling a CAR away from a log jam, let alone a ML Smile
(11-14-2017 03:23 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2017 08:42 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Trying to cast larger muskie lures on a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

Trying to pull a medium car away from a log jam with a moderate ML will also pose an issue.

I think an extra heavy rod would have a hard time pulling a CAR away from a log jam, let alone a ML Smile

LOL. It's been fixed. I meant to type CARP.
(11-15-2017 01:48 AM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2017 03:23 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote: [ -> ]

LOL. It's been fixed. I meant to type CARP.

Do you use leaded or unleaded bait for those bigguns?
Of course there are rods built for Muskie...7' heavy rod would be a better choice....but for something not a lot of anglers have the luxury of having a rod for each specie you want to catch...an versatile rod like Okuma Celilo, Fenwick HMG Or HMX line are some of the best rods I have tried that works on multi species...I believe they also come in HM rods...I prefer tha ML loaded up with 25lb braid for muskie / carp / bass...all i do is really change reels loaded with different lines...and the only gear I leave in my car for "emergency fishing itch".
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's