Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Shiner ID, 2018 version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These guys get me every year. On the opposite end of the spectrum from pike opener, how many anal fin rays do you see on this shiner? Caught in the Lake Simcoe area, I figured it was another emerald shiner (10 rays) but I only see 8. Am I missing a couple or do I have a mimic shiner. I didn't think to look for black pigment around the butt.[attachment=1632]
I also count 8 anal rays. I preliminarily agree with Mimic Shiner.

Not enough rays for a Emerald Shiner. Wrong area for a Ghost Shiner.

Only other possibility would be a Sand Shiner, but I do see some black shading along the anal fin.

Micros are not my area of expertise though ... MuskieBait??

PS ... great photo ... super clear!
Thanks. Our esteemed ID expert, Muskiebait, identified it as an emerald on Facebook. The main reason was the mouth shape much more closely resembling an emerald than a mimic. He also says he sees 9 anal rays, so it is a bit of a mutant. Emerald shiners are apparently the most common species of any fish in Lake Simcoe, and I caught a couple others in the same spot that are 100% emeralds, so I'll concede that this one isn't a mimic (but I know where they are).
And yes, this particular fish sat still in the micro tank for me for a clear pic. Normally they squirm and flop and I have to take a dozen or so pics just to get one decent one.
Still can't see it.

Not calling you out MuskieBait. Trying to learn my micros for this year ...

But, I still see 8 ... maybe. Do you count that little dark line as a anal ray? Looks to be separate from the fin membrane. Just trying to learn these little guys.

PS ... again, great photo!

[attachment=1633]
(05-07-2018 09:22 PM)NickP27 Wrote: [ -> ]Still can't see it.

Not calling you out MuskieBait. Trying to learn my micros for this year ...

But, I still see 8 ... maybe. Do you count that little dark line as a anal ray? Looks to be separate from the fin membrane. Just trying to learn these little guys.

PS ... again, great photo!

The first ray is right of the right most red dot in your photo. The water droplets distort the image, but if you look further down the fin, you'll see the ray.
Reference URL's