Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fish Identification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(04-02-2013 12:16 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-26-2013 06:52 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely my pic...and I'll definitely go after him for my cut of royalties.

He can pay me in burbot...I demand 5lb of "poor man's lobster". Tongue

And I could have provided if I had read this two weeks ago Tongue. Thankfully for the burbot's sake, I did not.

I can take a lobster roll in lieu...you know...if we want to think about cod fishing in MA with MA Tongue
Great. Thanks OldTimer. Especially useful for beginner as me.
Here's Revision one of this wee guide I threw together - has a few more pictures and common species included. The redhorse section has been upgraded a tad too............

[attachment=1073]

Cheers,

Oldtimer

Edit: Rev 2 down the thread further..............
I'll get use out of this- well put together - thanks.
May I suggest a further elaboration of the White Sucker and Redhorse species, especially characteristics to tell the species apart.

Fish to add...

Green Sunfish (fairly common in SW Ontario)
Northern Sunfish (common in areas of SW Ontario)
Goldfish (and how to tell them apart from Common Carp)
Shorthead Redhorse (very common catch)

I also have pictures of Rudd (invasive but established), Black Bullhead and Grass Pickerel that you can use.

I also have a lot of pictures of common micros that you can use.
(08-10-2015 03:06 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]May I suggest a further elaboration of the White Sucker and Redhorse species, especially characteristics to tell the species apart.

Fish to add...

Green Sunfish (fairly common in SW Ontario)
Northern Sunfish (common in areas of SW Ontario)
Goldfish (and how to tell them apart from Common Carp)
Shorthead Redhorse (very common catch)

I also have pictures of Rudd (invasive but established), Black Bullhead and Grass Pickerel that you can use.

I also have a lot of pictures of common micros that you can use.

I'm with you all the way on my adding better detail re:distinguishing the various redhorse (ie tail colour, lip profiles, etc).

Hey - it's a work in progress............. my update folder pics were getting too numerous , so I decided to do a quick update , and then reset and plan my next upgrade.

Your advice, and comments are great and valuable - thanks.

OT
Yeah, I know it is a WIP...which is why my suggestions are made Wink

Together we'll make it better. Just let me know when you need the pictures...or you can simply pull them off my species list from the blog.

If you need help with ID characteristics, just ask. If I don't know them well enough, I have professional contacts who can help.
Here's Rev 2 - more redhorse pics/details

Edit Aug 18 2015 - fixed a few typos.........

[attachment=1086]

Cheers,

OldTimer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's