Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Side Planer use from shore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

Has anyone here tried using a Luhr Jensen side planer on a river?

[attachment=222]

I’ve used much larger planers in the past on Lake Ontario in the early spring - trolling for small salmon, but never seen them used in a river………. I thought perhaps it might be worth a try on the Grand River later this year for steelhead or salmon.

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/cast...an/sp.html

My biggest question is - how far out this device will go when used in shore fishing? …….. anyone know?

I was thinking that it might be a fun thing to try. They go for about 12 bucks.

Cheers,

OldTimer

edit - wow that pink is some ugly...........
That's an interesting idea. My guess is that how far out they will go depends on the speed of the current.

Why would you want to use a planar from shore? I guess it would keep your bait in the middle of the river without having to cast and cast and cast?
Consider it as perpendicular trolling - you can go back and forth from your position on shore.

In spite of current - I do think that main line drag and distance will create a "maximum out" dimension for variable water velocity ........ perhaps keeping size of the line from it, to you on shore is very important...............

OT
The muskie fishing from a car video that MuskieBait posted has renewed my interest in planer board use on a big river.

Has anyone out there used these a lot in a river from shore?

Cheers,

OldTimer
Just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL410D...oEwR5EHorg

Gonna try it soon.

OT
That looks pretty slick...

will have to look around and give it a shot on the mighty Ottawa river.

I've always wondered what was way out in the middle down deep. (probably won't make it to the middle but it'll be further than I can throw!)
Might be interesting, I have some places along the rideau I would like to try this on. Maybe I'lll pick one up as well.
Free shipping at basspro was extended 2 days so I was going to add this to my order but I noticed an inconsistency....

The product page noted it was in stock but I had added to my gear list last week and it was marked as out of stock there.

I opened an online chat and asked "Jessie" my online customer support representative and asked if in fact it was in stock. "Jessie" told me it was out of stock and to check back in 30 days as they may be getting more.

I have heard complaints about people putting in orders and then being told an item is out of stock and then being sent gift cards instead.

I am glad I asked. I also may have found a way to actually see if things are in inventory.
Yep, happened to me before as well. BPS is not always great updating the website with their current inventory status.
I was going to get these from BPS but - as you say no stock and on backorder.

Local (to me) tackle shops were all sold out of these.

I ended up buying a few "clone" knockoff of these planers from an E-Bay vendor............ when they show up (probably this week), I'll give them a whirl on the Grand , and report on such on this thread....................

Cheers,

OldTimer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's