Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: DIY Tenkara Rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I was recently inspired to make this from MichaelAngelo's post about the Tenkara Fly Rod's (The link to his post: http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...th-America ). So I decided I would try to make my own from one of those easy cast collapsible rod and reel combos by Coleman.

This is the extremely easy guide to show you how to Do It Yourself.

I started with the line. I cut the line out. Extremely basic step lol.
[Image: dmRe3.jpg]

Next I removed the reel.
[Image: hoxAI.jpg]
[Image: atMpJ.jpg]

Here is a picture of it collapsed.
[Image: rBFJF.jpg]

I then got about 9 feet of 6 lb mono and tied a uni knot to the last guide hole and wrapped the rest of the line around a piece of cardboard with slits in it.
[Image: npZg3.jpg]

The final result.
[Image: iXWce.jpg]

The tip of the rod (collapsed). I used the elastic to keep the rod parts from moving around.
[Image: zWlV9.jpg]

I did not remove the line guiding loops just in case the DIY doesn't work and I can remake the actual rod.

Good luck,
Giuga10
I've never used a tenkara rod before, so I'm not sure about its power. I would imagine the tenkara rod has a much lighter power then any spinning rod I could find.

In one of their youtube videos, they mention that 12 feet is the ideal length.

For microfishing in really, really tight places I'm using my telescopic rod as well.
(09-10-2012 11:33 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]I've never used a tenkara rod before, so I'm not sure about its power. I would imagine the tenkara rod has a much lighter power then any spinning rod I could find.

In one of their youtube videos, they mention that 12 feet is the ideal length.

For microfishing in really, really tight places I'm using my telescopic rod as well.

Cool, I did some searching online and they said for beginners the shorter the better so I went with 9. If I eventually get better I will increase in length. Hopefully I can give it a shot tonight ans see how it all works. Smile

Thanks,
Giuga10
Reference URL's