Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Trolley rig much?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I have a drop net again I have been taking advantage of some high casting points and using a trolley rig to fish deeper water at distance for Salmon and Browns. I realised the other day after explaining my setup to another fisherman, that I have seen exactly zero other fisherman using a trolley rig.

So.... anyone else here used a trolley rig set up?
Haha! I have thought about it much, but really the only time we have any chance at Salmon and Browns are really cold water periods of the year...fall, winter, spring...when the fish push in closer.

If you need a partner, I'm just an email away. My 12' surf rod is always ready and I have a few 5-6oz bank sinkers to bomb out some 80+ yards.

Have you try the garbage bag rig or the balloon rig as well? Given the right conditions, of course...but our prevailing wind seems to be from the northwest most of the time anyways...the offshore/inshore wind patterns during summer does complicate things though...
Hello innovation!
(09-21-2012 08:04 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Haha! I have thought about it much, but really the only time we have any chance at Salmon and Browns are really cold water periods of the year...fall, winter, spring...when the fish push in closer.

If you need a partner, I'm just an email away. My 12' surf rod is always ready and I have a few 5-6oz bank sinkers to bomb out some 80+ yards.

Have you try the garbage bag rig or the balloon rig as well? Given the right conditions, of course...but our prevailing wind seems to be from the northwest most of the time anyways...the offshore/inshore wind patterns during summer does complicate things though...

You should definitely give it a go, here's some of my notes on it:

I can usually get away with a 3oz flat lead and the 12ft Carp rod, or the interline as theres no tidal run or heavy current. The end of outlook pier is already 100yds out, and a good pendulum cast with just a lead can make that double. Deck height is around 15 ft above water, ( hence the drop net and 50ft of line) plus you have the the 12ft rod height on the rail. Angle down to the water is good, running the bait down the line is no problem. I have also run weighted doublebagged PVA bags down the line, for accurate groundbaiting too. (This system also works for big Carp,this is how I have been getting at the big mommas out between TTP lighthouse and outlook.....Sssssh! Big Grin )

Best fishing so far has been at distance on overcast days or just at sunset. After sunset, not so much distance required, you can fish the outside edge of the lighted area on the water, from the pier head street lights.
I'm seriously thinking of trying an overnighter on the pier to see what the action is like at night.... preferably before I need to break out the ice fishing suit!

A word of caution though... I doubled up with a second trolley line and a clear bubble float with a three ft tail. Fished on the bottom and a way back up the line at the surface at the same time. Thought I was being clever....I got a decent Carp on the bottom bait, but also got hit on the top bait when trying to bring the Carp in. Needless to say when the fish took off in different directions to each other I lost both, plus the end rig and the float line....

Balloon drift fishing was the norm when I lived in Aruba, but over there the trade winds are pretty constant in terms of direction. My experience here is that the wind tends to flip during the day. North West wind is perfect for getting bait way out off outlook, wards breakwater or TTP, but on both occasions I have drifted balloons the wind has switched on me.

You are always welcome to join me, or if you want to borrow the drop net.

EDIT* I might have enough to add a local pier fishing article to fishontoronto.com pretty soon. Come ice out next year, I am even thinking of trying this rig with some split shot weighted minnows for Pike.....
Ha. My Hawaiian friends will be impressed if I try slidebaiting here (that's what they call the trolley rig). Browns could yet be had soon...and pike as well. Friend of mine used to belly boat at Ontario Place in the winter all the way into January...and he continued to catch pike in deeper water.

Yeah, that midday wind shift is what I was worried about with balloon fishing...that offshore wind in the morning shifting to an inshore wind later in the day...it does complicate things.

Let's coordinate a day to meet up and I'll see how you do it. Smile We can chat strategy for sure. I'm in! It's just fun tossing that big rod around anyways. Big Grin
Reference URL's