Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Giuga10's 2013 OSF Multi-Species Challenge Entries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Giuga10's OSF OMC Page.

Total Fish Species - 19

Goldfish [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] January 14

[Image: oVM3K.jpg]

Yellow Perch [Caught on Lake Simcoe/Zone 16] February 3

[Image: SHlivG7.jpg]

Common Shiner [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] April 12

[Image: gVWd4pl.jpg]

Pumpkinseed Sunfish [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] April 22

[Image: Ojb90Eh.jpg]

Black Crappie [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] April 22

[Image: WbP2GYn.jpg]

Brook Trout [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] April 27

[Image: 32AFU1X.jpg]

Brown Bullhead [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] April 27

[Image: y0PLrXK.jpg]

Bluegill Sunfish [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 1

[Image: uvR7PxG.jpg]

Creek Chub [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 3

[Image: CQ3byHg.jpg]

Blacknose Dace [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 3

[Image: VK8if7L.jpg]

Rock Bass [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 4

[Image: VAALmLL.jpg]

White Sucker [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 4

[Image: XYPUou1.jpg]

Rainbow Trout [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 5

[Image: hrPhcZp.jpg]

Emerald Shiner [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] May 21

[Image: MHQlF5D.jpg]

Channel Catfish [Caught on Six Mile Lake/Zone 15] June 29

[Image: vheAc08.jpg]

Northern Pike [Caught on Six Mile Lake/Zone 15] June 30

[Image: NqDajsH.jpg]

Largemouth Bass [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] July 3

[Image: ZAr5WUP.jpg]

Common Carp [Caught in Markham/Zone 16] August 2

[Image: exd0joD.jpg]

Round Goby [Caught at Bluffers Park/Zone 20] August 4

[Image: eVsh3q8.jpg]
Emerald Shiner Added!
Channel Catfish and Northern Pike Added!
Do you have a better picture of that channel cat? I can't see the anal fin and the tail fin to confirm. It looks like a channel cat, but I'm trying to be fair with everyone's entries. I've DQ's several entries before for bad pics that don't show species characteristics for positive ID...even I'm 99% sure what species they may be.

How about the Emerald Shiner? It's hard to see the position of the dorsal fin. Without a better picture, it'll be hard to say if it is an Emerald Shiner or a Silver Shiner (distinguished based on the position of the dorsal with respect to the pelvic fin). If I can't see the dorsal fin position, I would have to DQ it.

Rules are rules...just trying to be fair. That's why the contest rule says we may require additional pics (especially macro shots for micros) for positive fish ID in order for a species entry to count.

Pike picture is borderline...try not to cut off the head and tail next time Wink It's pretty evident you caught a pike so I'll let it slide just this time.
(07-03-2013 12:48 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have a better picture of that channel cat? I can't see the anal fin and the tail fin to confirm. It looks like a channel cat, but I'm trying to be fair with everyone's entries. I've DQ's several entries before for bad pics that don't show species characteristics for positive ID...even I'm 99% sure what species they may be.

How about the Emerald Shiner? It's hard to see the position of the dorsal fin. Without a better picture, it'll be hard to say if it is an Emerald Shiner or a Silver Shiner (distinguished based on the position of the dorsal with respect to the pelvic fin). If I can't see the dorsal fin position, I would have to DQ it.

Rules are rules...just trying to be fair. That's why the contest rule says we may require additional pics (especially macro shots for micros) for positive fish ID in order for a species entry to count.

Pike picture is borderline...try not to cut off the head and tail next time Wink It's pretty evident you caught a pike so I'll let it slide just this time.

Here's a picture of one of the kids holding it, it's not the best picture but the anal and tail fins are visible in this picture.

[Image: 91ahIIs.jpg]

As for the Emerald Shiner we had already ID'ed it as an Emerald Shiner in the identification help thread. This is the only picture I have of it where the badge is seen, which is why I am using this picture.
Largemouth Bass Added!
OK, good enough for me even when the picture is a bit blurry...the important thing is seeing that deeply forked tail and rounder anal fin, which ID's it as a channel catfish.
Common Carp and Round Goby Added!
Reference URL's