Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: new #1 ranked Bowfin caught in Florida
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
a new #1 ranked bowfin was caught in Florida!
a monster!!!!!
checkout bowfin website.
ontarios record is, just over 6 kgs, or nearly 13 pounds...

One of the Oldest registered DNA for Any fish Species...

The closest to a dinosaur than almost any fish out there.

~Jeremy
OH FLORIDA!!!! how I miss thee!!! Ken hooked into a serious bowfin down south that came off. We spotted quite a few of them as well.
(02-02-2013 10:53 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote: [ -> ]ontarios record is, just over 6 kgs, or nearly 13 pounds...

~Jeremy

Ontario's record is 16lbs if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure we'll be seeing bigger and bigger bowfin show up in the coming years as our climate warms.
We're already seeing it with largemouth bass. 5lbers used to be a true rarity, now people target 6s and 7s.

Oh...and that 21lber is a VERY nice looking fish. I'd thrilled to get something like that on the end of my line.
(02-05-2013 03:37 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]OH FLORIDA!!!! how I miss thee!!! Ken hooked into a serious bowfin down south that came off. We spotted quite a few of them as well.

It wasn't really that big...it just fought dirty...like they usually do. I'd say it was 5lb max...not even as big as the ones I catch in Toronto AngelTongue
(02-02-2013 10:53 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote: [ -> ]ontarios record is, just over 6 kgs, or nearly 13 pounds...

~Jeremy

Just for interest discussion sake...

Some fossil of gar species (some records may include relatives or early forms of the Alligator Gar) were found in Cretaceous rock formation, which dates back to a period from 145–66 mya.

The oldest bowfin record (where the bowfin evolved into its current form) were found in Triassic rock formations, which dates back to a period from 252.2–201.3 million years ago (mya).

The oldest coelacanth record (where the coelacanth evolved into its current form) were found in Devonian rock formations, which dates back to a period from 419.2–358.9 mya.

According to Wiki...

There are two extant coelacanth species, the Western Indian Ocean Coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae), and Indonesian coelacanth (Latimeria menadoensis).

Latimeria chalumnae have been found in the Comoros, Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar, and in iSimangaliso Wetland Park, Kwazulu-Natal in South Africa.

Latimeria menadoensis, was described from Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia

How sick would it be to partake on a year long fishing expedition to catch, and to document on video, a coelacanth species that is caught on hook and line? This will not be some randomly chance encounter...but using local knowledge to TARGET a coelacanth!

There are lots of "holy grails" and unexplored opportunities in angling, but catching a coelacanth on hook and line probably rank at the top of my list (and one of my friend's list). I think it would put you way above ANY angling record in the world.

If I strike it rich...it's not be too far fetched...and I may just chase after such a unrealistic and unreachable but completely stupendous endeavour! Wink

...Oh, and then I can sign up on Roughfish and rub it in all their faces. Tongue Who else can claim a coelacanth on their life list? Tongue
(02-06-2013 09:12 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]...Oh, and then I can sign up on Roughfish and rub it in all their faces. Tongue Who else can claim a coelacanth on their life list? Tongue

I thought you were on Roughfish??? I could swear I saw your profile before.
(02-06-2013 10:11 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-06-2013 09:12 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]...Oh, and then I can sign up on Roughfish and rub it in all their faces. Tongue Who else can claim a coelacanth on their life list? Tongue

I thought you were on Roughfish??? I could swear I saw your profile before.

I was, but no longer. I took off all my content on that forum and Corey removed my account. Way too much drama on that forum.
Reference URL's