Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: How NOT to catch a goby.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here’s a topic that might be worth discussion and sharing:

How NOT to catch a goby.

Here’s my starting contribution:

- I’ve never caught a goby while topwater fishing.
- I’ve never caught a goby while using a minnow larger than 4” long.
- I’ve never caught a goby while using cut sucker baits.
- I’ve never caught a goby on a buzz bait.
- I’ve never caught a goby in fast water breaks or pockets.

Hmmm………..I think I just described most of my summer fishing………..

Cheers,

OldTimer
(03-10-2013 02:52 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]- I’ve never caught a goby while using a minnow larger than 4” long.

I have to ask: have you caught a goby on any size minnow before? I'm actually curious how big those things can get. Saw one caught on worms once that was about 5" long and pretty fat.
Fishing for perch using minnows 3" and less at Port Maitland will get you a bucket full of Goby. Biggest one I've caught was just about 7"..... I hear they can go 10".

EDIT: ............... another contest.......who will catch the biggest goby?................
I think my biggest was about 5". I was catching tons on 3" minnows fishing for Perch in October.

I can't see a Goby chasing after anything moderately fast. A great way to conduct an experiment on how these fish react to different baits is Bluffers Park, the Marina Cove is loaded with them. They've got pretty big mouths for there size so I can imagine them being able to eat many different things.
I don't think I've ever got a goby on a drop shot rig... can't quite remember... Never caught a goby on a wacky rigged senko, spoon or any plastic texas rigged... I have caught gobies on live bait, or most any bait on the bottom, baits that work the middle of the water column or top of the water column don't get hit by gobies as much I think.

Can you imagine if lure companies like Berkley and Zoom come up with goby baits?? lol

Sounds like an awesome experiment Giuga10.
(03-10-2013 10:48 PM)TOFishingNoob Wrote: [ -> ]Can you imagine if lure companies like Berkley and Zoom come up with goby baits?? lol

It's been done. I forget the company that makes them, but soft plastic goby imitations are a staple bait for guys fishing smallmouth on the St. Lawrence.

OT, thats interesting. I never knew they got that big.
(03-10-2013 11:18 PM)Eli Wrote: [ -> ]It's been done. I forget the company that makes them, but soft plastic goby imitations are a staple bait for guys fishing smallmouth on the St. Lawrence.

I think the company you are talking about is Storm.

I meant if companies make baits specifically for fishing for gobies, not goby imitating baits for game fish...
I tried running a big plastic goby for lakers on Simcoe... didn't work. Maybe I should give it another look next season and find a smaller model Smile. It's just too much fun watching them chase swimbaits up and down for me to want to try the bottom-stirring plastic goby Tongue If it ends up working, it might be more fun fighting fish rather than watching them chase things up and down and then leave... LOL

I've never caught a goby on half a grunt fish in Florida.... Wink
I've never caught a Goby on a spoon
If you use worms, it's almost impossible to keep them away, If you want to use worms I would say float fish with worms and keep your bait further off the bottom as I believe that's where they are. At least these fish aren't in smaller bodies of water, If they can overpopulate large bodies of water, they could destroy the fisheries of smaller ponds/lakes if they got in.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's