Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Carp fishing: adjustable Zig rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been on the road quite a bit recently, with a few more trips to come. This is the rig that I have been putting to use in Nevada / Arizona. Looking forward to putting it into play over the Toronto islands in a month or two.

*edit Site no longer there, hacked....

Any questions, give me a shout... Smile
(03-11-2013 12:01 AM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]I've been on the road quite a bit recently, with a few more trips to come. This is the rig that I have been putting to use in Nevada / Arizona. Looking forward to putting it into play over the Toronto islands in a month or two.

http://fishontoronto.com/spring-carp-fis...e-zig-rigs

Mike I found this bloody brilliant Tongue. I've never thought of presenting bait this way. This would have been quite useful in Florida when we found grass carp that would only hit on slowly sinking bread LOL...
(03-11-2013 07:33 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]Mike I found this bloody brilliant Tongue. I've never thought of presenting bait this way. This would have been quite useful in Florida when we found grass carp that would only hit on slowly sinking bread LOL...

I saw a version of this rig in action at Kingman Wash on Lake Mead a while back. I was sceptical to say the least, but the guy was fighting a Carp every 10 minutes while we were getting 1 on every 45 or so. A quick bit of research showed it was a legit Carp rig, but more thorough research showed they had in fact "borrowed" it from a much older Pike fishing rig. I have been working on developing it for the last couple of trips.

I built the zig floats myself.

[attachment=423]

You can see the original bubble float top left. I added a section of clear drinking straw from a kids juice pack for the anti tangle stem. Tongue

I used the other piece of the straw to make an inline clip for my lead weight. It makes feeding the line through much easier. I can clip a stiff piece of black foam over the weight clip tube to lift the line and weight clip off a soft mud bottom if needed. I was thinking I might have to paint the sub float dark green to make it look like a weed, but the Carp really dont seem to care.

Definitely trying this rig out on those big cruisers in olympic canal.... Big Grin
(03-11-2013 07:33 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2013 12:01 AM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]I've been on the road quite a bit recently, with a few more trips to come. This is the rig that I have been putting to use in Nevada / Arizona. Looking forward to putting it into play over the Toronto islands in a month or two.

Mike I found this bloody brilliant Tongue. I've never thought of presenting bait this way. This would have been quite useful in Florida when we found grass carp that would only hit on slowly sinking bread LOL...

I always believe in the KISS principle...

If the grass carp are only hitting slowly sinking bread, give them slowly sinking bread. Not that hard really. Wink It only took me a few casts of trying to get hooked up after we figured out they want the slowly sinking bread Tongue
(03-11-2013 10:01 PM)MuskieBait Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2013 07:33 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]

I always believe in the KISS principle...

If the grass carp are only hitting slowly sinking bread, give them slowly sinking bread. Not that hard really. Wink It only took me a few casts of trying to get hooked up after we figured out they want the slowly sinking bread Tongue

That was insane.... that and the gar(s) (sssssss LOL)... good times.
Site hacked, article down.
Hey Mike,

I've been thinkin' about this zig rig thing for a while now as a possible solution to avoid catching so many goby while perch fishing from a pier.................. Usually 10 goby........1 perch..........a bunch more goby.....1 perch.

My thoughts are that the bobber goes on the end of the line with a dropper next (for a minnow) and then 3 feet away - a sinker that is just heavy enough to pull the bobber down. This rig having the bobber always submerged and yet whose purpose is to ensure the minnow stays suspended and NEVER even gets close to the bottom thus avoiding the goby hoard.

Think this might work?

OT
(04-08-2013 04:30 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Mike,

I've been thinkin' about this zig rig thing for a while now as a possible solution to avoid catching so many goby while perch fishing from a pier.................. Usually 10 goby........1 perch..........a bunch more goby.....1 perch.

My thoughts are that the bobber goes on the end of the line with a dropper next (for a minnow) and then 3 feet away - a sinker that is just heavy enough to pull the bobber down. This rig having the bobber always submerged and yet whose purpose is to ensure the minnow stays suspended and NEVER even gets close to the bottom thus avoiding the goby hoard.

Think this might work?

OT

Yours solution sounds very similar to a few Pike rigs that I saw while resarching the pieces I needed to make an adjustable one.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=i...n-ncOlISX8

I think you would definitely be able to scale one of these rigs down
Reference URL's