You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Bowfin? - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Bowfin? (/Thread-Bowfin)

Bowfin? - Giuga10 - 05-05-2013 06:29 PM

After learning about Bowfin last year I've been dying to catch one but have no clue as to where and when to catch them. I've heard the islands are a good place for them.

Anyone have any tips, times or places for these fish?

Any help is appreciated.

RE: Bowfin? - MuskieBait - 05-05-2013 06:39 PM

tangleline and I know about them.

The question is...what are you willing to give up for that kind of sensitive information? Tongue

RE: Bowfin? - Giuga10 - 05-05-2013 06:42 PM

(05-05-2013 06:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  tangleline and I know about them.

The question is...what are you willing to give up for that kind of sensitive information? Tongue

I led you to your lifer Western Blacknose Dace Tongue. I've already given Big Grin.

RE: Bowfin? - MuskieBait - 05-05-2013 06:52 PM

(05-05-2013 06:42 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 06:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  tangleline and I know about them.

I led you to your lifer Western Blacknose Dace Tongue. I've already given Big Grin.

Hm...you do have a point Tongue. Blacknose Dace only BTW Wink

We'll see how much time I have this May/June/July. If you can meet me at the Islands, I'll give you some hands on tutorial. Smile

Ask Michael...there is a lot of hands on stuff that I show/teach that is not often well transferred on pen and paper. Often, how you approach a fishing situation is very specific to timing, season and a particular fishing spot. I would much rather do hands on teaching/guiding.

Or you can go to Florida...those bowfins are hungry and everywhere in the Everglades.

RE: Bowfin? - MikeH - 05-06-2013 03:10 PM

I was over the Islands this weekend, saw several Bowfin in the usual locations, since the water level has come up quite a bit.

RE: Bowfin? - MuskieBait - 05-06-2013 11:08 PM

I was going to go last Sunday to scout out the area...but then steelhead came calling and I could only fish one day of the weekend...so I had to pick steelhead since I can still fish bowfin and carp when the steelhead run is done.

I may hop over to the Islands one of these evenings to see what's shaking. Did you see any carp? Are they in pre-spawn or full spawn mode? I'm hoping it is pre-spawn so at least there is a chance at those carp. Once they start spawning, there is nothing else they want to do but spawn.

Thanks for the intel Mike! Big Grin

RE: Bowfin? - MikeH - 05-07-2013 07:57 AM

I take the ferry straight from work so that I can get three hours fishing. Carp are in and don't seem to be spawning yet as they were taking the corn and artificial flake no problem.

*Check your PM's.

RE: Bowfin? - MuskieBait - 05-07-2013 08:40 AM

Yeah, I can usually go straight from work to the Islands too. Just a short subway ride and then catch the ferry.

Definitely going there this weekend...might be able to sneak a few hours midweek if work allows me to get off before 5pm.

RE: Bowfin? - zippyFX - 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

I have read about the bowfin at the Islands and have been very interested in giving it a try. If the offer is open and the timing aligns I may be able to get away from the wife and kids for a morning and would love to be able to join you guys. Not sure what my TO plans are this summer but I can always be hopeful.