You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker (/Thread-Bullhead-rig-Dropshot-vs-slip-sinker)

Pages: 1 2

Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - onwind - 06-20-2013 12:20 PM

Hi, guys,

I tried bullhead fishing for several times, the rigs I used are mainly two kinds:
1. a rig similar to drop shot(a sinker below two hooks 12 inches away), but I will throw the line out and put down my rod tip to let the baits stay near the bottom.
2. slip sinker rig.
I use the same bait(a piece of a night crawler), and throw the baits to the same spot. but what I found is that the bullheads always hit the first rig, when I changed to the second rig. the bites will soon become very few. but what's the first rig annoyed me most is that every time the fish will tangle my line into a mess.

So my questions are
1. Is there a way to reduce the line tangling of the first rig?
2. Why the 1st rig is more attractive than the second rig? is it because the baits are a little above the bottom which makes fishes easier to find them?
3. Is there a way to attract more fishes biting on my second rig? for example add a tiny bobber before the hook (a Santee rig).

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - MuskieBait - 06-20-2013 01:52 PM

Question: If the dropshot rig works better, why insist on using the slip sinker rig? (Trying to get you to think)

Isn't the most effective way to catch them is already the answer?

In response to your question...

Yes, the dropshot rig likely present your baits a bit off bottom. If you are fishing a soft bottom, or a bottom with leaf litter, or on a rocky bottom where your baits can hide amongst a crack between rocks...then the visibility is certainly a big factor.

A way to reduce line tangling on the dropshot rig is to either tie the hooks directly to the mainline via a palomar knot, or I like to use 3-way swivels and stiffer mono/fluorocarbon while reducing the length of the hook leader. If the leader is too long, the two hooks will find each other and tangle. If the two hooks are 12" apart, the hook leader should be no longer than 6" (I like very short hook leaders most of the time...2" max). That way the hooks will not tangle each other.

You can try to use floating beads to pop up the bait...or use a needle to inject air into the worm to make the worm buoyant.

But again...if the first rig is more effective...why use something else? Unless your problem is the constant tangle...but there is a solution for it. Wink

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - onwind - 06-20-2013 03:05 PM

Yes, the reason I don't like the 1st rig is because everytime I hook a fish, I will have to retie it.
I tied my hooks directly on mainline (4lb mono) and the drop lines are around 4 inches long, perhaps the line is too soft and too thin. I think I can try two 3-way swivels next time.
(06-20-2013 01:52 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Question: If the dropshot rig works better, why insist on using the slip sinker rig? (Trying to get you to think)

Isn't the most effective way to catch them is already the answer?

In response to your question...

Yes, the dropshot rig likely present your baits a bit off bottom. If you are fishing a soft bottom, or a bottom with leaf litter, or on a rocky bottom where your baits can hide amongst a crack between rocks...then the visibility is certainly a big factor.

A way to reduce line tangling on the dropshot rig is to either tie the hooks directly to the mainline via a palomar knot, or I like to use 3-way swivels and stiffer mono/fluorocarbon while reducing the length of the hook leader. If the leader is too long, the two hooks will find each other and tangle. If the two hooks are 12" apart, the hook leader should be no longer than 6" (I like very short hook leaders most of the time...2" max). That way the hooks will not tangle each other.

You can try to use floating beads to pop up the bait...or use a needle to inject air into the worm to make the worm buoyant.

But again...if the first rig is more effective...why use something else? Unless your problem is the constant tangle...but there is a solution for it. Wink

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - OldTimer - 06-20-2013 03:17 PM

Bullheads are not all that line shy - have you tried heavier (stiffer) line for the rigs & dropper loops to minimize the tangling.

If the first rig has two baits and the second rig only has a single bait - this may also explain why the first is more effective.............ie more scent and taste in the water and double the hooks.........

.......try 4?

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - MuskieBait - 06-20-2013 03:17 PM

4lb is too soft...thus your tangling issue.

Try stiffer mainline...I'd suggest 8lb at the minimum, and using 3-way swivel.

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - onwind - 06-20-2013 03:55 PM

My rod is a light combo, and it is spooned with 4 lb test lines, I don't want to change it so next time I perhaps can try to add a 20lb mono lead line(as I only have 4lb, 6lb, 8lb, 20lb, 30lb, 40lb,50lb mono on hand) with a swivel. does this plan make sense?

(06-20-2013 03:17 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  4lb is too soft...thus your tangling issue.

Try stiffer mainline...I'd suggest 8lb at the minimum, and using 3-way swivel.

I come up with a better plan, next time I can make several lead lines using 8lb, 20lb mono and 6lb fluorocarbon line and compare them.

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - OldTimer - 06-20-2013 04:09 PM

I know it says perch rig...... but it would work for bottom fishing cats too.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thread-Fishing-Information-on-the-Net-Links?pid=2307&highlight=perch+rig#pid2307

OT

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - onwind - 06-20-2013 04:29 PM

when I use the 1st rig, the bullheads kept hitting my bait every half minute. but when I changed to the 2nd rig, I will not get a bite for more than 10 minutes. can 2 hooks make so much difference to 1 hook?

Yes, two hooks should be more efficient than one hook,
(06-20-2013 03:17 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Bullheads are not all that line shy - have you tried heavier (stiffer) line for the rigs & dropper loops to minimize the tangling.

If the first rig has two baits and the second rig only has a single bait - this may also explain why the first is more effective.............ie more scent and taste in the water and double the hooks.........

.......try 4?

Yes, it's very similar, but I use a dropper loop knot for the hooks. this rig is very simple, only need 1 line, one sinker and 2 hooks. I like its simplicity.

(06-20-2013 04:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I know it says perch rig...... but it would work for bottom fishing cats too.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thread-Fishing-Information-on-the-Net-Links?pid=2307&highlight=perch+rig#pid2307

OT

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - OldTimer - 06-20-2013 04:45 PM

(06-20-2013 04:29 PM)onwind Wrote:  Yes, it's very similar, but I use a dropper loop knot for the hooks. this rig is very simple, only need 1 line, one sinker and 2 hooks. I like its simplicity.

Enjoy the simplicity......... or reduce the tangles.......... your call.

OT

RE: Bullhead rig: Dropshot vs slip sinker - onwind - 06-20-2013 04:55 PM

Now I am trying to add a swivel clip and one leader line(plus several backups) to overcome the tangles.
(06-20-2013 04:45 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(06-20-2013 04:29 PM)onwind Wrote:  Yes, it's very similar, but I use a dropper loop knot for the hooks. this rig is very simple, only need 1 line, one sinker and 2 hooks. I like its simplicity.

Enjoy the simplicity......... or reduce the tangles.......... your call.

OT