You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Hi all from East Toronto - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-Forum)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/Forum-Welcome)
+--- Thread: Hi all from East Toronto (/Thread-Hi-all-from-East-Toronto)

Pages: 1 2

Hi all from East Toronto - alex_fish - 07-15-2013 05:21 PM

Hello everyone!!

Although I have been going fishing for many years and enjoy it very much I would classify myself as an inexperienced fisherman simply due to the fact that I rarely manage to catch anything.

I have decided to join the forum to hopefully help me reduce the persistent frustrations of never being able to hook a fish. It is slowly beginning to take they joy and excitement of fishing away from me. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting to have every outing result in game fish after game fish. But, catching nothing season after season is taking it's toll.

For now, I would just like to say hello and go through some of the previous posts. Hopefully I can get a few discussions going and get advice on how to make fishing exciting again!

Thanks,
Alex

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - mcfly - 07-16-2013 12:28 AM

Are you saying you don't catch anything at all? Or you're not catching decent size fish?

Where are you fishing and what type of fish are you after? I know some spots in the GTA that I pretty much guarantee catching fish depending on what species it is (and obviously the weather).

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - alex_fish - 07-16-2013 09:30 AM

(07-16-2013 12:28 AM)mcfly Wrote:  Are you saying you don't catch anything at all? Or you're not catching decent size fish?

Where are you fishing and what type of fish are you after? I know some spots in the GTA that I pretty much guarantee catching fish depending on what species it is (and obviously the weather).

Its not uncommon for me to catch nothing at all. I would fish for half or a whole day and not get a single bite.
I was just recently at the Toronto islands because I have heard some good things about catching pike there. I went all around the Islands from 7am to 3pm or so and not even a single bite.
I sometimes go to Peterborough near the lock for a whole day of fishing. Last time all I managed to catch was two rock-bass. The time before that, no luck at all. I've also tried Pickering power station - a rock bass and a bullhead (i think that's what they are called. it's a small catfish).

I haven't caught a bass in a few years. And a walleye... forget about it.
Sad

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - Giuga10 - 07-16-2013 11:38 AM

Welcome Alex.

We should have a meetup with some forum members soon and you can join us. There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

What set up and lures/bait do you use when you fish?

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - mcfly - 07-16-2013 11:49 AM

(07-16-2013 11:38 AM)Giuga10 Wrote:  There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

LOL I was thinking the same thing

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - alex_fish - 07-16-2013 12:13 PM

(07-16-2013 11:49 AM)mcfly Wrote:  
(07-16-2013 11:38 AM)Giuga10 Wrote:  There's a few places where I can guarantee a lot of catches depending on what you're after.

LOL I was thinking the same thing

me three. that would be awesome.

As far as lures... I like the hard lures so i tend to stick to those most of the time. However it is painful when I lose one especially considering the return on investment.
I do have some soft ones as well including some tubes, double tail twisters, and a senko type looking worm.
It is hard to say which particular lure I favor as they mostly yield the same end result.

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - Randy - 07-16-2013 08:07 PM

My situation is similar, I've mainly fished at locations throughout the Peel region and don't manage to catch much, I would appreciate knowing some of those spots where fish are guaranteed. I even have trouble getting decent sized sunfish now, I think the summer temperatures play a big role in urban shore fishing. One place which I could think of where you have a high chance of hooking bullhead catfish is centennial park but I don't like fishing for them, I prefer other panfish.

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - mcfly - 07-16-2013 08:36 PM

You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - Randy - 07-16-2013 09:23 PM

(07-16-2013 08:36 PM)mcfly Wrote:  You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm

I have but haven't used that technique in a while, might try it soon. Bass or panfish as I'm in Mississauga, harder to get the other two species nearby especially walleye.

RE: Hi all from East Toronto - mcfly - 07-17-2013 01:09 AM

(07-16-2013 09:23 PM)Randy Wrote:  
(07-16-2013 08:36 PM)mcfly Wrote:  You guys ever try worm on a drop shot? Is it bass your after? or perch? or walleye? each fish has it's own techniques and locations but dropshoting a worm will catch you pretty much everything, I've even seen the odd pike and musky caught on a worm

I have but haven't used that technique in a while, might try it soon. Bass or panfish as I'm in Mississauga, harder to get the other two species nearby especially walleye.

Try Professor's Lake in Brampton. I catch largemouth there in the 2-3lb range. There is also pike, lots of panfish and perch.